Internet problem

avk

Hi

I have recently taken over the running of a network at a school. The current setup uses a Windows Server 2003 setup with Windows XP Professional on the pc's. There are about 100 pc's on the network in a domain. The network is connected to a router through one of the switches, and in turn to a 4096 ADSL line.

My problem is that the only security (excluding anti-virus) is the firewall on the router.

I need some software to monitor the internet usage on the network. Is it possible? Or must I install a computer as a proxy server? I am looking for the cheapest possible solution to the problem. The cap limit is disappearing very quickly, and I would like to know where the problem is. Even if I could only narrow down the IP address where the most downloads are happening it would help. Somewhere along the line 2.5GB got lost in 3 days. And I would like to know where it went.

Can anybody give me a possible solution? Maybe it is as simple as installing a program? If at all possible I would like to get some free software.

Cheerz!

andres101

Expert Member
what router do you have?

no-cost solution would be to put a PC on a hub with the router, install a packet sniffer and see who is doing what.

you could set up a old PC as a proxy server/gateway running SmoothWall. Even an old P1-166 with 128MB RAM will cope. The PC does however need two network cards.

a better title will give more replies... perhaps "Stop internet abuse at school"

KobusDJ

I looking after a very similar setup.

I'm using a PC with PfSense as router. With the Squid add-on, I enabled the anonymous proxy. I can track any usage by IP address.

Conradl

Expert Member
Do you have academic licensing from MS? If so look at ISA Server....

avk

Do you have academic licensing from MS? If so look at ISA Server....

We do have the School Agreement in place. But I don't have even the foggiest clue on how to use ISA Server.

labratza

Expert Member
yeah I also got ISA server but never played around with it before never knew that you can do that with it

Nod

Executive Member
If you do go with ISA server, you'll need something to provide a easy interface to the logs. ISA Lyzer will do that for you. Not sure what it cost these days. Might even be free for schools.

Conradl

Expert Member
We do have the School Agreement in place. But I don't have even the foggiest clue on how to use ISA Server.

Which school is it, is it in Joburg? Do you work for the school or a company supporting the school? If its the former, then PM me and I can assist you with setting it up....

Of course, if the school is one of those 60k a month schools then I'm going to charge you ;)

avk

Which school is it, is it in Joburg? Do you work for the school or a company supporting the school? If its the former, then PM me and I can assist you with setting it up....

Of course, if the school is one of those 60k a month schools then I'm going to charge you ;)

Thanx for that! I am in the Eastern Cape, and I am the head of the IT department. Unfortunately when it gets to the tricky stuff like this, I'm not totally clued up. But I'm learning.

I actually think I've cracked it. Gonna give it a whirl for a week and see what happens.

Thanx for the offer, maybe I'll take you up on it! And "no", not one of those R60k a month schools! :)

Cheerz!