Internet Solutions downtime due to hard disc failures

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Certain Internet Solutions clients are experiencing a prolonged service outage, according to several customers who contacted MyBroadband.

One reader said they have been experiencing issues for over a week and when he called the company’s contact centre an automated message stated that there was an outage which was being investigated.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
The problem starts with "hard disk failure?" I assume any service provider would be using storage arrays configured to provide resilience and thus eliminate single points of failure such as a hard disk.

ekske1

Executive Member

Certain Internet Solutions clients are experiencing a prolonged service outage, according to several customers who contacted MyBroadband.

One reader said they have been experiencing issues for over a week and when he called the company’s contact centre an automated message stated that there was an outage which was being investigated.
oooh, how retro of them :thumbsup:

DailyTech

The problem starts with "hard disk failure?" I assume any service provider would be using storage arrays configured to provide resilience and thus eliminate single points of failure such as a hard disk.
Yup !!

DailyTech

Because anyone who expects you to entrust your data to them should have plenty of redundancy in place to cover any eventuality. Prolonged downed time is just not acceptable from this sort of service provider. I would be worrying that my data was gone for good at this stage.
Yuipyity dooo daahhh yipp doo dayy

werny

Expert Member
LOL, IS cannot even keep their monitoring software up and running, have been down for weeks now, cannot monitor any of our MPLS lines currently and also no notifications when they fail, had to get my own solution to monitor them in the meantime. This might be related to the harddrive failures, not sure.

IS has slowly been going downhill over the last 2-3 years, the support team is a bunch of moegoes and takes days to answer back on critical tickets, 90% of the time not adhering to SLA's.

I kind of feel bad for our Account Manager, the only decent person in the entire company it seems, but that sure as hell won't keep us with them forever, when the contract runs out it's time to move on.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Because they are ****, I had many VMs with them, the ticket from January the 15th is still open, I moved all my clients away, and only had one left after my experience in Jan 2019.

Last week the last server went down, and like the article state, no matter how many times you call or email, they ignore you, they answered the ticket 4 days later, and said they would look into that. I since moved the last client away, screw them. The last 5 years were hell, been with them from 1998.

Last year they infected all the VDC machines from the management network with ransomeware, and they just said sorry, you need to rebuild. Needed to rebuild 15 machines, and it were "protected" by the shared firewall, and we paid for that as well.

So glad I moved everything from them, 92k worth of business per month, so glad, and relaxed now.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It may be degraded due to lack of oversight and maintenance, resulting in a changeover process.

What is known now is that their infrastructure isn't scalable or they hosted some of their clients on older and unsupported hardware.

The lack of business continuety and customer retention at this level is questionable. No future planning...

Thor

Honorary Master
Still better than hetzner, but yea I won't host with IS either.

How can a cloud provider suffer HDD failure in 2019?