Intranet down when no internet connection

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
As per the title... What the ####?

I've noticed something dodgy about two weeks ago when copying files over the network. The network dies, the copy stalls, all my devices lose connectivity and once it reconnects to the internet, then my internal network works again, for a while...

I have a D-Link 2750u.

I phoned Afrihost 2 weeks ago when it started and they put me on a different IP because the previous IP "became stale".

I don't see how these two things are related though.

Can it be my router?

newklear

Expert Member
Could be a few things causing that, you could perhaps try a reset of Winsock and IP stack and trouble shoot from there:

Open a CMD prompt, Run as administrator:
  1. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter
  2. Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter
  3. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter
  4. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter
  5. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
As per the title... What the ####?

I've noticed something dodgy about two weeks ago when copying files over the network. The network dies, the copy stalls, all my devices lose connectivity and once it reconnects to the internet, then my internal network works again, for a while...

I have a D-Link 2750u.

I phoned Afrihost 2 weeks ago when it started and they put me on a different IP because the previous IP "became stale".

I don't see how these two things are related though.

Can it be my router?

Yip, i have the same issue here:

https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?t...e-fibre-connection-fails.253541/#post-1727192

All my IT knowledge says this cannot be.

lowriderza

Expert Member
My first guess would be Router. I had a similar issue a few months ago except my network didn't crash but the network bridge did.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Piece of crap router probably can’t deal with the load and runs out of memory or processing power and falls over.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
It only started 2 weeks ago. It handled the load fine before.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
OMG.... I phoned Afrihost, they were useless, I reset my router, worked for a few minutes, and the problem is back. Intermittent connection with to internet, intermittent connection on internal network.

Requested another callback at 6:45 and no one phoned.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Sounds like an evil spirit in your router. Flash yourself to the router and update the firmware.

lowriderza

Expert Member
It only started 2 weeks ago. It handled the load fine before.
I could go on a rant about quality control, designed failure and almost non-existent design standards regarding electronics, but I'm getting my brain bed ready so that ain't happening.

The fact that it worked two weeks ago or two seconds ago is irrelevant when it comes to electronics. I'm not giving you a hard time just sharing my insights with you. ;)

lowriderza

Expert Member
OMG.... I phoned Afrihost, they were useless, I reset my router, worked for a few minutes, and the problem is back. Intermittent connection with to internet, intermittent connection on internal network.

Requested another callback at 6:45 and no one phoned.
Still sounds like your router... Specifically the DNS bombing out.

As for Afrihost Service, their new system of call backs etc are crappy. Really disappointing.

John Tempus

Executive Member
You mention that when your internet dies the internal local network also dies.

Are you sure your internet actually dies ? You might be looking at this from the wrong angle. It is more likely that all network traffic dies at the same time on the router. You are using this router as your dhcp device/switch for all other devices behind it right ?

Do you do a lot of torrenting ? Some routers do exactly what you describe after reaching a relatively low half open connection ceiling where it simply starts to behave irratic with dead traffic over all access until you restart the router.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
You mention that when your internet dies the internal local network also dies.

Are you sure your internet actually dies ? You might be looking at this from the wrong angle. It is more likely that all network traffic dies at the same time on the router. You are using this router as your dhcp device/switch for all other devices behind it right ?

Do you do a lot of torrenting ? Some routers do exactly what you describe after reaching a relatively low half open connection ceiling where it simply starts to behave irratic with dead traffic over all access until you restart the router.
Hmm, this makes sense. I actually don't download much. I have a 48 port switch connected to this router. So if my main pc, and Nvidia Shield for example is connected to the switch... Then why does that connection die as well? Wait.... This is starting to sound even more messed up.

Maybe the router is resetting every couple of minutes, but then... Why would I have a problem with the network on the switch?

John Tempus

Executive Member
Hmm, this makes sense. I actually don't download much. I have a 48 port switch connected to this router. So if my main pc, and Nvidia Shield for example is connected to the switch... Then why does that connection die as well? Wait.... This is starting to sound even more messed up.

Maybe the router is resetting every couple of minutes, but then... Why would I have a problem with the network on the switch?

Ok this is why I asked if your devices are all directly into/over the router. In fact this doesn't matter because even if your devices go into the seperate 48port switch and they are all still getting dhcp leasing from the router, something similar to what I mentioned could still affect them.

The underlying issue does seem to be with the router.

What you could test is to assign static ips to your devices that are all connected to the 48port switch and whenever the router internet traffic dies you should still be able to communicate with all the devices that are directly connected to the 48port switch and configured with static ips.

The idea is to isolate the issue and if you assign static ips for the devices that go directly into the 48port switch first then at a minimum when internet traffic on router just suddenly stop working as you described at least you would be able to confirm that the local traffic between the devices with static ips into the 48port is still able to communicate over the local network.

Once you have that info, it will be much clearer what you need to do to take care of the main problem with the router.

Give that a test, this at least would verify the culprit being the router and the issue will be less of a mystery.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
My main pc and shield does have a static IP. I've been trying to copy something over for the last few days from a laptop over wi-fi. It copies, then suddenly, all connectivity is gone.

As for the shield and pc having static IP's, then also suddenly not being able to stream content from pc to shield... (On switch)

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I switched the router off, the switch is still on with the pc and shield on LAN and static.

Shield notification says "Ethernet is not connected". Kodi opens for a second then closes again.

RedViking

Nord of the South
My car Door worked 3 days ago, now it is broken. Electronics break. Deal with it.

I had a stupid router, when Internet goes off, the whole network goes off..... Bad that was many moons ago.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I switched the router off, the switch is still on with the pc and shield on LAN and static.

Shield notification says "Ethernet is not connected". Kodi opens for a second then closes again.

Kodi is also full of bugs / or most probably the add ons in kodi. It doesn't like it when you don't have a connection.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Ok the internal network is running properly now. Main Pc and Shield is working like it's supposed to.

So now the router needs to be dealt with.

Milano

Honorary Master
Similar issue many many years ago. New router, issues resolved.