Inverter and Battery Question

Just a thought on the 24v system. I suppose i can add only one extra battery to the existing 2. Add in it parallel to one of the batteries ?
 
Just a thought on the 24v system. I suppose i can add only one extra battery to the existing 2. Add in it parallel to one of the batteries ?
No. 24V is connected in series if using 12V batteries.

You always want two 12V batteries to give you 24V. So you must make sure you always add 2 batteries for 24V.
 
How would this little setup work for a small back up system incase the poop hits the fan with Eskom and we without power for a while to run for eg. 1 small bar Fridge, 1 32 inch flat screen tv, fibre router ,maybe a laptop. 2 or 3 LED lights? Obviously it wont be able to run all that 24/7 but the plan is to add additional solar panels and batteries as funds allow. Il get a gas cooker for cooking, boiling water.

Oh and its just the wife and myself in a small 2 bed place and our monthly electricity usage averages around 300kw per month so far for 2019 and that's with 2 fridges, a deep freeze, wifi, home alarm system, elec gate on permanently, we only switch the geyser on when needed.

http://www.rsasolarandelec.co.za/product/1-6kva-solar-kit-good-for-homes-offices/
 
Last edited:
No. 24V is connected in series if using 12V batteries.

You always want two 12V batteries to give you 24V. So you must make sure you always add 2 batteries for 24V.
No..... If i add one extra in parallel to a 12v battery it still stays 12v. Then hooking those two in series with another 12v will give me 24v....
 
No..... If i add one extra in parallel to a 12v battery it still stays 12v. Then hooking those two in series with another 12v will give me 24v....

Now that I am at my computer...

Here you go (parallel):
 
Last edited:
How would this little setup work for a small back up system incase the poop hits the fan with Eskom and we without power for a while to run for eg. 1 small bar Fridge, 1 32 inch flat screen tv, fibre router ,maybe a laptop. 2 or 3 LED lights? Obviously it wont be able to run all that 24/7 but the plan is to add additional solar panels and batteries as funds allow. Il get a gas cooker for cooking, boiling water.

http://www.rsasolarandelec.co.za/product/1-6kva-solar-kit-good-for-homes-offices/
Is that a pure sinewave inverter ? Can't see ..... And only one battery - I can't see that it would power everything for very long ?
 
Close, not quite.
my experience of multiple batteries in parallel were a nightmare for years until i found this website 3 years ago
Now all 10 of my 12v batteries are balanced nicely in parallel
i chose method 3

 
my experience of multiple batteries in parallel were a nightmare for years until i found this website 3 years ago
Now all 10 of my 12v batteries are balanced nicely in parallel
i chose method 3


So would that be 2 cables to the inverter that then splits to the batteries?
 
Now that I am at my computer...

Here you go:
All those diagrams is in parallel right ? So if it's 12v batteries it stays 12v. Where's the diagrams for series connection ?
 
You are right...
Does that change anything with regards to adding a 3rd battery?
Another dumb question, if I buy the bigger inverter 2400va will it have any impact on run time?
I am guessing not, though.

@RedViking from your review of that inverter -

View attachment 754518

So confused, does that mean a bigger inverter does mean longer run times.

I think it is because the 12V system comes with one battery, while the 24V comes with 2 batteries. The more batteries you have the longer it will run. I guess you can just add a second battery to the 12V inverter if it allows. Just check the specs.
 
I think it is because the 12V system comes with one battery, while the 24V comes with 2 batteries. The more batteries you have the longer it will run.
Thanks, I am just going to buy 2 more 105AH batteries and run them using method 4.
 
Thanks, I am just going to buy 2 more 105AH batteries and run them using method 4.

Please just check with the experts @Sinbad @Geoff.D @Dairyfarmer that you connect them the correct way. If you have a 12V system anyone of those methods should work.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X