iOS 13 will include a dark mode and multitasking - Report

garp

Executive Member
I don't get this obsession with dark mode on everything. It only makes sense for your eyes when you're in a dark room, otherwise it will actually cause eye strain.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I don't get this obsession with dark mode on everything. It only makes sense for your eyes when you're in a dark room, otherwise it will actually cause eye strain.

Some people like it, all my websites are in dark mode with a Chrome extension

Capture.PNG Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Much easier on the eyes at anytime.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I also don't understand the obsession.

The only time it makes sense to me is if you are using your phone next to someone else in the dark and don't want to disturb them...and even then it only makes sense if you have an OLED screen.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Much easier on the eyes at anytime.

I find that to be a fallacy and I'm almost certain it's been scientifically proven as well hasn't it?

Unless your brightness is too stupidly high when in normal mode, it should always be easier to read black text on an off-white screen than the other way around with white text on top of dark grey or worse black.

garp

Executive Member
I find that to be a fallacy and I'm almost certain it's been scientifically proven as well hasn't it?

Unless your brightness is too stupidly high when in normal mode, it should always be easier to read black text on an off-white screen than the other way around with white text on top of dark grey or worse black.
The research I've found seems to suggest that a screen background matching your environment is easiest on the eyes - i.e. if you're in a bright room with a well lit background, then a light background works best, if you're in the dark then a black background.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The research I've found seems to suggest that a screen background matching your environment is easiest on the eyes - i.e. if you're in a bright room with a well lit background, then a light background works best, if you're in the dark then a black background.
Gamer16 is living in his mom's basement. Makes sense.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

So how many people using dark mode all the time as in the dark?

I would bet almost none, which means based on that knowledge above just about everyone is doing it wrong.

My left screen is this window now and my right screen is a Linux terminal with white on black...the left is far easier to read except for the font being less bold on MyBB.

But my screen is brightness calibrated to sensible levels and not trying to be the sun.

MyBB background being light grey and not pure white is really all that's necessary.