iOS 5 finally out

greg0205

Honorary Master
iCloud so far is optional. As I haven't joined anything yet and still use my phone as normal, but I suspect it might become mandatory in the future as more and more applications use it.

There's no reason not to join as far as I can see... iCloud is free and you get 5gigs of space. Just saying.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
There's no reason not to join as far as I can see... iCloud is free and you get 5gigs of space. Just saying.

Depends if you have access to free bandwidth. So its not really free.

That is why I asked in another thread for people to help me find 2 applications
Data on demand + Data monitor, so I can see if applications use too much data, I can limit or put a stop to its use.

Just saying ;)

Last edited:

greg0205

Honorary Master
Depends if you have access to free bandwidth. So its not really free.

That is why I asked in another thread for people to help me find 2 applications
Data on demand + Data monitor, so I can see if applications use too much data, I can limit or put a stop to its use.

Just saying ;)

You make a good point there... Uncapped you tend to forget, or rather disregard, how much bandwidth you're using and focus more on how long the backup will take to upload.

EDIT: Eish, just thought about it... This week Apple have been brutal on people who have caps! IOS 5 is around 700 megs, Lion 10.7.2 was around a gig for all the updates, Aperture was another gig... and... I recon I've done around 30 app updates in the last day or three.

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Eish, just thought about it... This week Apple have been brutal on people who have caps! IOS 5 is around 700 megs, Lion 10.7.2 was around a gig for all the updates, Aperture was another gig... and... I recon I've done around 30 app updates in the last day or three.

True, but to be honest I am more concerned about data use when I am away from home. My Vodacom SIM in my iPhone is on pre-paid and only gets top'ed up once in a while.

rapidblue

Expert Member
True, but to be honest I am more concerned about data use when I am away from home. My Vodacom SIM in my iPhone is on pre-paid and only gets top'ed up once in a while.
Just load a decent data bundle. Seeing its prepaid your bundle should also be valid for up to two months...
Really hoping these rumours of unlimited data on iPhones in SA pans out ;)

piranha786

Expert Member
6 minutes :) now I must go check how to install from the .ipsw file. haven't done it before

undesign

Executive Member
With my 4Mb ADSL line running at 140kbps atm I can look forward to using iOS5 on Christmas Day... :(

benitok

iCloud so far is optional. As I haven't joined anything yet and still use my phone as normal, but I suspect it might become mandatory in the future as more and more applications use it.

Ok, thanks. One more question, is there anybody that did an update on the iPad and checked 'Angry Birds'? I heard that you will lose your saved games (maybe it was an isolated case). If this does happen I will have an 'Angry Wife'.

benitok

Ok, thanks. One more question, is there anybody that did an update on the iPad and checked 'Angry Birds'? I heard that you will lose your saved games (maybe it was an isolated case). If this does happen I will have an 'Angry Wife'.

All there and working after the update. woohoo

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Box.net accounts are usually 5GB but they're offering 50GB free forever if you sign up in the next 50 (or so) days. File size upload has been increased to 100mb too. All you need to do is sign up through the app on your device.

http://blog.box.net/2011/10/12/were-giving-ios-users-insane-amounts-of-free-storage-box50gb/

:D
I posted about this the other day but deleted it because if you want to use apps with it on a PC you need to pay for the upgrade. So while that 50gb is awesome you can only use it on your mobile device and with a web browser. Now if they added the same syncing that Dropbox or iCloud . . .