iOS on 21'' screen

macboer

With new event people are speculating on 10.7 being the first step towards iOSness. But have any of you thought of how it might be?

Would iOS work on a screen larger than 13"?

I guess what i'm asking is: Would they have to build a new OS or can iOS be a base for such an OS.

I'm especially interested on the opinions of those of you with ipads.

OomD

With iOS the thought pattern was not how to make a mouse-driven interface work with touch too, rather it was how to create a mouse-less interface properly. How not to point 'n shoot. In this regard it has succeeded impressively. It can run on any size screen I say, because it's not about the real estate... its about the interface and that already works.

IMO

macboer

OomD.

I think i agree. Applications on iOS has to be looked at differently than traditional mouse based OS.

I wonder if Adobe have started to think about how they would do a touch based CS(X)

OomD

I wonder if Adobe have started to think about how they would do a touch based CS(X)
Indeed, it is quite a radical change in terms of thought given to layout and user interaction, and Apple are leading by example here. Albeit with their own apps (Pages, Numbes, etc for iPad) one can see a definite consistancy n their implementation whereas I see a lot of shooting in the dark from other organizations at this stage. So if other vendors want to adopt a mouse-less interface (not even iOS necessarily) they need to rethink drastically.

And iOS is a good place to start.

macboer

This is EXACTLY why i think the iPad will RULE this space for a looooong time.

Keeper

Honorary Master
OomD.

I think i agree. Applications on iOS has to be looked at differently than traditional mouse based OS.

are you talking about Photoshop?

why would you want to work in PS with your fingers, when wacom already exists?

For actual work, mouse, keyboards and Tablets will still be used for a long time to come....

OomD

...For actual work, mouse, keyboards and Tablets will still be used for a long time to come....
Quite agreed, I don't think any type of tablet (iPad or otherwise) will ever replace mouse and keyboad, but if those apps ever want to be ported to a tablet then a rethink (of layout, etc) is certainly necessary...

macboer

are you talking about Photoshop?

why would you want to work in PS with your fingers, when wacom already exists?

For actual work, mouse, keyboards and Tablets will still be used for a long time to come....
ok, so how long wil the mouse still exist. (the keyboard can't be replaced IMO)
5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

i agree on your point and that's why i'm asking.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
I think possibly the next step is replacing the mouse with a track pad like the macbook pro's but larger and then for more precise applications like photoshop a stylus to use on said track pad, like an integrated wacomb