iPhone 5 wifi issues - steps to solve?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Hi all

My iPhone 5 seems to have wifi issues. Where my 4S and 3GS have full signal, the 5 will have 1 - 2 bars. Where the 4S/3GS have 2 bars, the 5 will have 0 - 1 bar. I can be on the other side of the wall where the router is, 2m away, and the reception will chop and change between 2 - 3 bars often.

I'm on the latest iOS 6.4.1 and I did a restore from my 4S backup.

How can I go about resolving the issue? Should I try a fresh install without restoring?

Should I take it straight to somewhere (?) for a swap?

Local Cell C stock, 13 days old.

Thanks in advance. :)

HApyM3al

Expert Member
i would check the frequency/band the wifi broadcasting channel 13 isnt supported by apple devices and as well WPA2-AES is only supported last time i checked.

to test put phone on charge as well. apple device switch the wireless N off if goes below certain amount of battery. (last time i check was wireless N)

test with wireless broadcasting band 6. (preferred) and phone on charge and make sure it is WPA2-AES.
test with wireless A/B/G and not N.

post results

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
no problem. if the problem stays the same then i would take the phone back and demand new one. (seeing as it is still basically new)

Would iStore deal with this?

Or would I have to go back to (a) Cell C branch?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
i would check the frequency/band the wifi broadcasting channel 13 isnt supported by apple devices and as well WPA2-AES is only supported last time i checked.
It isn't? Here's a list of channels my Airport Extreme offers

Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at    2013•05•24   09.08.33 .jpg

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Would iStore deal with this?

Or would I have to go back to (a) Cell C branch?

cellc,

istore would ask you to pay. cellc would not ask you to pay it is new device. (well thats what id expect) im with vodacom so cant really say.

HApyM3al

Expert Member
It isn't? Here's a list of channels my Airport Extreme offers

View attachment 52097

sorry well ipad/iphones then. simple mistake. But that is airport (under correction but isnt that the router?)
But yet again go into public area and check how many people broadcasting channel 13 (i would think very little)

company i work for disable 13 as cause too many issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

north america = no support channel 13 (think they made it illegal)

but most routers are only set to go to 12 and AP's. not 13.

industry standard for channels is 1-11 and best to use is 1;6;11.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
sorry well ipad/iphones then. simple mistake. But that is airport (under correction but isnt that the router?)
But yet again go into public area and check how many people broadcasting channel 13 (i would think very little)

company i work for disable 13 as cause too many issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

north america = no support channel 13 (think they made it illegal)

but most routers are only set to go to 12 and AP's. not 13.

industry standard for channels is 1-11 and best to use is 1;6;11.
I switched to 13 to test and all my devices including iphones and ipads picked it up and were good to go. Sure, it's not optimal, and I never said it was, but it works.

In the US they use 1-11 but, according to wikipedia, 12 and 13 are allowed for "low powered conditions".

FWIW my D-Link also offers 1-13.
Screen Shot 2013-05-24 at    2013•05•24   10.27.17 .jpg

Last edited:

HApyM3al

Expert Member
I switched to 13 to test and all my devices including iphones and ipads picked it up and were good to go. Sure, it's not optimal, and I never said it was, but it works.

In the US they use 1-11 but, according to wikipedia, 12 and 13 are allowed for "low powered conditions".

FWIW my D-Link also offers 1-13.
View attachment 52117

i can see it working with airport to iphone device but as my work installs wireless in hotels and apartment buildings we notice that 90% of device struggle to pick up wireless is Apple devices and normally because of an channel (13) on older AP's still switching to it or stupid https issue.

i also have iphone 5 and have tested it at some sites of ours and it does struggle with channel 13 with our AP's (Linksys; Mikrotik ; Ruckus and ubiquiti)

i would still say to switch between 1-6 and test it and have device on charge as we have noticed a lot of times get someone calling that ipad not picking up wireless = on charge and boom got wireless because switches the N standard off (it does use more power).

like your case apple to apple devices work fine. but in public area or even home users should switch 13 off and only use 1-11. most people as well have different router. lets face it most people have bilion or netgear.

but glad to see apple loves apple devices still at least lol.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Bump.

Just checking for any more input before I attempt swap out this week with Cell C. I'll be upset if they don't swap out instantly.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Did you try a different channel?

I did. Also tested at a mate, terrible reception. Right now my router is 1m away through a thin wall and it's constantly hopping between 1/2/3 bars. Very annoying. :(

My 3GS and 4S are perfect.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I did. Also tested at a mate, terrible reception. Right now my router is 1m away through a thin wall and it's constantly hopping between 1/2/3 bars. Very annoying. :(

My 3GS and 4S are perfect.

Sounds a bit dodgy. I'd return it if I were in your shoes. My iPhones wifi is pretty good. Not as good as the iPad but I'd wouldn't expect it to be.

Dubai

I'm experiencing the same problem
I'm with Vodacon they do not want to exchange they insist I must waiting 14 working days
Anybody knows where I can get swapped out
Phone is 3 days old

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
I'm experiencing the same problem
I'm with Vodacon they do not want to exchange they insist I must waiting 14 working days
Anybody knows where I can get swapped out
Phone is 3 days old

Eish. I'll wait 14 days if I can keep the phone until it's swapped.

ajules

Expert Member
Eish. I'll wait 14 days if I can keep the phone until it's swapped.
Do you have a cover on the phone which could be affecting the wifi?From personal experience my wifi on my iPhone 5 seems to work fine although I have done some tests myself and my wife's 4s gets a stronger wifi signal which is surprising.Sounds like you have a dud though and should get it replaced.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Do you have a cover on the phone which could be affecting the wifi?From personal experience my wifi on my iPhone 5 seems to work fine although I have done some tests myself and my wife's 4s gets a stronger wifi signal which is surprising.Sounds like you have a dud though and should get it replaced.

I have two, one plastic and one aluminium. Originally thought (hoped) it was the plastic one, so got the aluminium. No improvement. I then tried without the cover, and still the same signal problems.

Dubai

Yes just a plastic cover
The people at Vodacom can assure me if they going to exchange the phone