Iphone Only contract?

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
I'll begin by saying i made a terrible mistake. I was paying +- R600pm on my Iphone 5 and the contract ended December and I decided im not paying R600pm again. So i went against my better judgmenet and got a Huawei P6.
Now the build quality and display if this phone is excellent. But same as my old S4, the OS is absolute pure rubbish. i'm sure there is not a single app which has not crashed some time or another, that and restarting the phone the entire time since it becomes unresponsive... This morning I cannot listen to voicenotes anymore and I guess that was the last straw.

Is there anywhere I can get the Iphone alone on a 24month contract?, as I have a 1 month old Giga3 contract with CellC for R250
So That leaves me with R350 per month to be same of as before December. I know i can get the Iphone5s at Telkom mobile for R299, but I really want the Iphone 6 :(

(Valuable life lesson here, goedkoop koop is duur koop)

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member

Yup, best bet :) I am also going that route once my contract is expiring in the next 3 to 4 months. Getting my phone from FNB and going on prepaid since it's currently so much cheaper to call on prepaid than contract.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Yup, best bet :) I am also going that route once my contract is expiring in the next 3 to 4 months. Getting my phone from FNB and going on prepaid since it's currently so much cheaper to call on prepaid than contract.

Maybe im missing something
FNB Iphone 6 16gb (Device only) = R450
TelkomM Iphone 6 16gb + smartplan 50 = R450

How is FNB the best bet?

baasgene

FNB is not the best bet, Telkom Mobile is. Abuse them whilst they can still afford to offer deals such as these

Spizz

Goat Botherer
FNB is not the best bet, Telkom Mobile is. Abuse them whilst they can still afford to offer deals such as these

We're so used to over inflated contracts and ridiculous pricing from Vodacom and MTN, that when TM offers it at a more reasonable rate, we think they are being stupid :erm:

kdub

If you have a discoverycard you can buy it over 24 months interest free from istore?

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
If you have a discoverycard you can buy it over 24 months interest free from istore?

No Discoverycard as well.....maybe I should just apply for one and buy the device on it?, its the Discovery Credit card you are referring to?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
No Discoverycard as well.....maybe I should just apply for one and buy the device on it?, its the Discovery Credit card you are referring to?

Yes, but it is 12 months interest free if I remember correctly - Cheapest works out close to R850 when I did my calculations - then decided to go the TM route...

R11,399/12 = 949 which is more expensive R25 a month more than if you use TM over 24 months...

Edit: I could have used my miles on it to get it cheaper though, but didn't want to waste it.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Yes, but it is 12 months interest free if I remember correctly - Cheapest works out close to R850 when I did my calculations - then decided to go the TM route...

R11,399/12 = 949 which is more expensive R25 a month more than if you use TM over 24 months...

Edit: I could have used my miles on it to get it cheaper though, but didn't want to waste it.

Maybe I should just get the 5S, its only 299 which is very cheap.... but then again, im going to be sorry i did not get the 6 :(, but I cannot go on like this
Why cant Google just fix this god forsaken piece of shirt android, there are like 4 times the amount of Android devices, so there has to be 4 times the amount of developers, why cant anyone just fix this, how can a OS this big be this shat.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Maybe I should just get the 5S, its only 299 which is very cheap.... but then again, im going to be sorry i did not get the 6 :(, but I cannot go on like this
Why cant Google just fix this god forsaken piece of shirt android, there are like 4 times the amount of Android devices, so there has to be 4 times the amount of developers, why cant anyone just fix this, how can a OS this big be this shat.

I've had more Androids (S2, S3, S4, S5, Note, Nexus 4, Nexus 5) than iOS devices (iPhone 3G, 4, 5S, iPad 2 and mini) and the one that crashed the most was my iPad 2. I've never had a problem with Android crashing pretty much any time with any of the apps I'm using.

Anyhoo, I'm using the iPhone 5S almost exclusively for a few weeks now and I'm just loving it sizewise. I'm not tempted in the slightest by any other phone, although I played with a Nexus 6 a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely although obviously huge.

So yeah, imho, go for 64gb 5S from TM :)

Edit: That's where I got mine and my TM sim is still in the drawer since September.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
I've had more Androids (S2, S3, S4, S5, Note, Nexus 4, Nexus 5) than iOS devices (iPhone 3G, 4, 5S, iPad 2 and mini) and the one that crashed the most was my iPad 2. I've never had a problem with Android crashing pretty much any time with any of the apps I'm using.

Anyhoo, I'm using the iPhone 5S almost exclusively for a few weeks now and I'm just loving it sizewise. I'm not tempted in the slightest by any other phone, although I played with a Nexus 6 a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely although obviously huge.

So yeah, imho, go for 64gb 5S from TM :)

Edit: That's where I got mine and my TM sim is still in the drawer since September.

I actually have two ipad 2's, one with IOS 7.1 which works like a charm, the other one with IOS 8.1.3 has a fair amount of problems. I had a S4, a HTC Desire and this Huawei P6. Each and everyone of them crashes, freezes or lags. EVER SINGLE ONE. And its not different problems, its the exact same problem. The MyBB app for an example, This app has crashed more than it has opened, and it was exactly the same as on my S4, the other problem Maps not opening, Absa not opening. Whatsapp freezes completely. lag between scrolling, Lag between going through photo albums, keyboard freezing if I type to fast (don't forget the extremely un-accuracy of the keyboard, if it was not for swiftkey this phone would no longer be with us), Have I mentioned how EVERY single Android device I have had overheats?.

Previous I had a Iphone 5, besides for the Power button and crappy battery life, the phone did not give me one day's problems in the 2 years I had it. Not one, not once did a app crash, not once did the phone freeze or overheat. Nothing, Not one single problem, EVER. You have no idea how I miss that, having a phone that just works every single time.

But yeah, I agree, TM deals are looking very good, The only reason I don't like the Iphone 5 is the size, its so small :-(, The Huawei P6 has a 4.7" display that fits me perfectly, 4" is just to small, But ill rather work on a smaller screen, than working on this Android POS which is just raising my blood pressure.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I actually have two ipad 2's, one with IOS 7.1 which works like a charm, the other one with IOS 8.1.3 has a fair amount of problems. I had a S4, a HTC Desire and this Huawei P6. Each and everyone of them crashes, freezes or lags. EVER SINGLE ONE. And its not different problems, its the exact same problem. The MyBB app for an example, This app has crashed more than it has opened, and it was exactly the same as on my S4, the other problem Maps not opening, Absa not opening. Whatsapp freezes completely. lag between scrolling, Lag between going through photo albums, keyboard freezing if I type to fast (don't forget the extremely un-accuracy of the keyboard, if it was not for swiftkey this phone would no longer be with us), Have I mentioned how EVERY single Android device I have had overheats?.

Previous I had a Iphone 5, besides for the Power button and crappy battery life, the phone did not give me one day's problems in the 2 years I had it. Not one, not once did a app crash, not once did the phone freeze or overheat. Nothing, Not one single problem, EVER. You have no idea how I miss that, having a phone that just works every single time.

But yeah, I agree, TM deals are looking very good, The only reason I don't like the Iphone 5 is the size, its so small :-(, The Huawei P6 has a 4.7" display that fits me perfectly, 4" is just to small, But ill rather work on a smaller screen, than working on this Android POS which is just raising my blood pressure.

Oh dear, best to stick with your tried and trusted iOS then.

I disagree about the size though because I'm so fed up with big screen phones that I made myself like the 5S and now I'm actually quite into it. At first I yearned for the 5S with Android as for me it's so much more flexible and useable, but I persevered and am quite happy with it now that I'm familiar with the functions and best of all, it's pocketable.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
Maybe im missing something
FNB Iphone 6 16gb (Device only) = R450
TelkomM Iphone 6 16gb + smartplan 50 = R450

How is FNB the best bet?

Not bad indeed, but personally I want to get the 64gb iPhone 6 + and getting that on contract is a lot of money. That is why I decided to go the FNB route along with taking my number off of contract.

wazup

Banned
What you could do, is to get the 5s on that R299 Telkom deal you mention, then sell both the 5s and Huawei and buy the iPhone 6 cash. If you go this route, just make sure you always pay both contracts, if you don't and they block the phones you sold, it will not be fair towards the people who bought them from you!

But in the end, it always works out quite expensive to take out another contract just to get a phone. Been there, done that. In the end, it works out to quite a lot of money.

If I were you, I would just take R5,000 and buy a decent second hand iPhone 5 cash. If you don't have that big of a cash flow, take out a Virgin Credit Card or something. Then ride out the wave until the Huawei contract is finished.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
What you could do, is to get the 5s on that R299 Telkom deal you mention, then sell both the 5s and Huawei and buy the iPhone 6 cash. If you go this route, just make sure you always pay both contracts, if you don't and they block the phones you sold, it will not be fair towards the people who bought them from you!

But in the end, it always works out quite expensive to take out another contract just to get a phone. Been there, done that. In the end, it works out to quite a lot of money.

If I were you, I would just take R5,000 and buy a decent second hand iPhone 5 cash. If you don't have that big of a cash flow, take out a Virgin Credit Card or something. Then ride out the wave until the Huawei contract is finished.

I Don't have that cash flow :-(
I'll try to get one cheap on Junkmail/Gumtree, but Yeah I agree with you. The Huawei Giga3 contract is already R260pm, taking another R300 contract sets me to R560.

On a side note, I'll probably get R1700 for the Huawei, and R4500 for the Iphone5s. Thats R6200, not enough for a Iphone 6
But i'll be happy with a Iphone5 again.

Last edited:

jman

Expert Member
I Don't have that cash flow :-(
I'll try to get one cheap on Junkmail/Gumtree, but Yeah I agree with you. The Huawei Giga3 contract is already R260pm, taking another R300 contract sets me to R560.

On a side note, I'll probably get R1700 for the Huawei, and R4500 for the Iphone5s. Thats R6200, not enough for a Iphone 6
But i'll be happy with a Iphone5 again.

Even on carbonite, an iPhone 6 64gb will go for at least R9k. I would't risk looking at the junkmail/gumtree

ahoudet

Expert Member
I was selling a new iPhone 6 for 7.5k but Telkom sold the phone while the brother in law was waiting for them to tell him they've got it