IS ADSL international speeds

nGAGEd55

Expert Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
3,280
Reaction score
0
Location
Plettenberg Bay
I just signed up for an OpenWeb IS ADSL account, but the international speeds are rather pathetic at the moment. Is there something wrong with the IS network today?
 
no! its normal

nothing is wrong! Its always +/- 128 kbps during business hours on international sites!

If you try and download something single threaded it runs at 7 KB/s that is exactly the same as my saix TelkomISP account.

The best part about IS is the 30gb
 
And the fact that International is not capped completely, but throttled after your 3GB (I get around 1-2k).
 
daysleeper said:
If you try and download something single threaded it runs at 7 KB/s that is exactly the same as my saix TelkomISP account.

Crap! Ive always had full speed on any SAIX acc on international ANY time of day!
 
KillerX said:
Crap! Ive always had full speed on any SAIX acc on international ANY time of day!
Same with me, thats why im rather dissapointed with the IS speed :(

And my dad isnt very happy either, cos he uses the line for business during the day, and no one said anything bout international being slown down during business hours
 
Last edited:
Is was supposed to upgrade their links early this year maybe Clipse can comment....?
 
February :)

Thats the launch date for the new satellites as long as IS stays on track.
 
Clipse said:
February :)

Thats the launch date for the new satellites as long as IS stays on track.
so will the 128k international speeds during business hours be a thing of the past then?
 
IS is all about businesses and corporates, they dont give a crap whether the little guys get reduced speed. I doubt we will get any improved service with the new satellite connection during business hours.
 
Last edited:
nGAGEd55 said:
so will the 128k international speeds during business hours be a thing of the past then?

I really hope so, but to be honest.. I dont get 128K speeds atm? Do you get these speeds from saix based connections perhaps?
 
KillerX said:
IS is all about businesses and corporates, they dont give a crap whether the little guys get reduced speed. I doubt we will reap any of the new satellite benefits

business uses their fibre backbone mostly. the satellites AFAIK is mostly used as backup and for ADSL.
 
Clipse said:
February :)

Thats the launch date for the new satellites as long as IS stays on track.

Do you think the upgrade is this gonna solve the packetloss problems and bad international latency? o_O
 
Shrap - It will solve international problems, atleast.. its suppose to? But latency will remain over satellite as usual.

I did hear that IS plan to bring out ADSL packages over Fibre in this year sometime, not sure about pricing or if its only rumours.
 
Clipse said:
I really hope so, but to be honest.. I dont get 128K speeds atm? Do you get these speeds from saix based connections perhaps?
Oh so it isnt supposed to be capped to 128 during office hours like daysleeper said? :confused:
daysleeper said:
nothing is wrong! Its always +/- 128 kbps during business hours on international sites!

ATM im getting bout 56kbps on downloads on OpenWeb, and im not capped, while on SAIX i get 440k. (BTW, its on a 512 line)
 
nGAGEd55 - Ill do some tests right now on an uncapped IS account and let you know exactly what I get from random international sites.
 
Clipse said:
nGAGEd55 - Ill do some tests right now on an uncapped IS account and let you know exactly what I get from random international sites.
BTW, when i said im not capped i meant I havent reached my cap yet, not that i have an uncapped account. just in case thats what you thought. :o

And thanks for your help! :)
 
Heya no, i meant uncapped IS account thats not capped yet :)

allmost done.
 
Ok ive done some tests and its rather interesting:

All HTTP traffic seems to be throttled around 128k, but torrents seems to max out at 45k on 512K line here.

Not 100% sure what IS is doing here, but will look again after business hours.
 
Hey brother,

I have logged a fault with IS, as this is not acceptable.

I will keep you updated as to the progress.

I apologise for the inconvenience, but knowing IS, it the problem will be resolved sharply.

Kind regards
MrBEEP

nGAGEd55 said:
Oh so it isnt supposed to be capped to 128 during office hours like daysleeper said? :confused:


ATM im getting bout 56kbps on downloads on OpenWeb, and im not capped, while on SAIX i get 440k. (BTW, its on a 512 line)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X