Is Centurion D5 Smart motor any good?

maumau

Honorary Master
Would you recommend the D5 smart with security bracket?

It's supposed to be tamperproof and sends an alert to your phone if the cover is lifted.

Also any installers in Randburg/Fairland, our security company want R10k o_O

geezer

Expert Member
Buy it yourself ang get someone competent to install it for you.

maumau

Honorary Master
Buy it yourself ang get someone competent to install it for you.

See this is what I'm thinking. Security company want to charge R7 900 + VAT for the motor plus batteries and while I don't begrudge them their profit we're talking R2 500/R3 500 difference in price.

That's crazy.

killerbyte

Expert Member
We just installed 2 at our complex and they are insanely fast. The app has lots of features... so the residents don't have access to it. LOL

hilton

Expert Member
Don't know but you can just add a wireless door contact to your cover and connect that to your existing alarm and create a zone for it. Probably be less than R1k with installation.

hilton

Expert Member
You edited your post after I replied but if that R2500 is labour and a wee bit of profit then it could be reasonable.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
We use these guys for our gates, motors and fences. They have been fairly reliable and I don't think that they are overpriced. Raymond, iirc, is the owner, and gets personally involved in the business where needed.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Would you recommend the D5 smart with security bracket?

It's supposed to be tamperproof and sends an alert to your phone if the cover is lifted.

Also any installers in Randburg/Fairland, our security company want R10k o_O
Yes. It is by far the best gate motor available.
As to installation, I recommend it gets installed off the ground and is earthed properly and protected by class II surge arrestors.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Yes it is really good. We have one of them. I would have liked it more if it had homekit support though.

rrh

Expert Member
We use these guys for our gates, motors and fences. They have been fairly reliable and I don't think that they are overpriced. Raymond, iirc, is the owner, and gets personally involved in the business where needed.

I also use SPB and am happy to recommend them. Obviously YMMV

maumau

Honorary Master
Yes. It is by far the best gate motor available.
As to installation, I recommend it gets installed off the ground and is earthed properly and protected by class II surge arrestors.

Thank you sooooooo much Geoff.

The previous motor was installed on a slightly raised concrete piece of concrete so that's where the new one will go. I'll mention the surge protector and hope the installer understands :)

maumau

Honorary Master
Don't know but you can just add a wireless door contact to your cover and connect that to your existing alarm and create a zone for it. Probably be less than R1k with installation.
Great idea tks.

You edited your post after I replied but if that R2500 is labour and a wee bit of profit then it could be reasonable.

No he's added 2 hours labour as well.

As I said, everyone deserves a profit and it irritates me when people say oh I can get it cheaper online. If he was R350/R500 more I'd pay it but R2 500 more, just on the motor??

maumau

Honorary Master

I also use SPB and am happy to recommend them. Obviously YMMV

Thanks, have messaged them:thumbsup:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
See this is what I'm thinking. Security company want to charge R7 900 + VAT for the motor plus batteries and while I don't begrudge them their profit we're talking R2 500/R3 500 difference in price.

That's crazy.

The problem is when you buy directly from the manufacturer it comes with a walk-in warranty (literally). Guess what happens when there is a problem. Maybe OK for you, but there are downsides to self installation.

maumau

Honorary Master
The problem is when you buy directly from the manufacturer it comes with a walk-in warranty (literally). Guess what happens when there is a problem. Maybe OK for you, but there are downsides to self installation.

Agreed. Would have preferred installation by our security company in case there are problems and now that I have the recommendation from you guys that this is a good motor I'm prepared to haggle.

Another thing - we had a brand new motor installed many, many years ago, came out one morning to find the motor neatly cut off from the mounting :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: it was a professional job. I'm sure it was stolen by one of the local cheap installation companies for resale - won't mention any names because they're still around and quite well known. Same thing happened to my neighbour - their new motor was stolen the SAME DAY it was installed.

I'm now wary of using any old installer off the street.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
There is almost an equal number of downsides with a contractor installation.
But, unless you know what you are doing, getting a motor installed properly is not as easy as some make it out to be.

gg za

I replaced my aging D3 with a D5 smart last week. Did the install myself. Install was a breeze and the app makes the configuration super easy. Gate is now super fast in operation. Only issue I had was that my Sonoff SV for home assistant would throw an overvoltage error on the D5 Smart controller. Replaced the SV with a Shelly 1 and all is good again. Even managed to secure the reed sensor inside the motor housing so my integration into home assistant is now clean and neat. Used Security Hyperstore for the purchase since I was in Durban for the day.

In terms of Warranty, if you have the POP, you can go directly to Centurion Service Centers and book the unit in. I took controller to be tested and it was a painless exercise.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
How does your gate run? Is the track inside your property or on the pavement?
So many installers take the easy way out and you then end up with the motor on street side of the gate, which then makes its removal a piece of cake.

maumau

Honorary Master
How does your gate run? Is the track inside your property or on the pavement?
So many installers take the easy way out and you then end up with the motor on street side of the gate, which then makes its removal a piece of cake.

The motor is inside, there's even a passive covering the driveway.

Unfortunately we have so many beggars, trolley guys and random pedestrians casually sauntering by (and this is a "quiet suburb") you never know who's casing the joint. Recently a couple of young guys have been collecting garden refuse in an old bakkie. They'll accept R50 or R100 or whatever you give them in payment.

Whoever vandalised our motor came from amateur city but they did know about the driveway passive because they worked through the gate from outside and bigger pieces that didn't fit through the openings in the gate were left lying inside.

Thieves took the batteries, controller and power thingy.

Sorry, I can't rotate this pic:
d5.jpg

P.S. Security company quoted R4k to fix this motor and I'll end up with a 10 year old motor :(