Is i9 9900s worth it?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Hi all,

Wondering if I should upgrade cpu only, seems you can pick up an i9 9900s for around 7k.

Or if it's better to just add a bit more and get mobo and cpu instead but 11th gen/wait for 12th gen.

I see in benchmarks that 11th gen i5 is almost as good as i9 9900 unless I'm wrong?

I'm wondering if I'm missing out by only getting new cpu, maybe a new mobo would give new features as well?

What do ya'll think?

Currently have 8700

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
No reason to upgrade currently, you're already on a hex core and the new lines are bascially just upping the power draw, IPC gains are near non existent.

See what the next gen ryzen brings next year, supposedly adding stacking, that should be 15-20% IPC gain according to AMD, plus process node improvement, so would consider maybe upgrading then if you need latest and greatest, current gen vs yours the jump isn't big and you can still run everything fine (actually pretty well, your cpu probably still falls into the top 10-15% of gamers).

InternetSwag

Expert Member
No reason to upgrade currently, you're already on a hex core and the new lines are bascially just upping the power draw, IPC gains are near non existent.

See what the next gen ryzen brings next year, supposedly adding stacking, that should be 15-20% IPC gain according to AMD, plus process node improvement, so would consider maybe upgrading then if you need latest and greatest, current gen vs yours the jump isn't big and you can still run everything fine (actually pretty well, your cpu probably still falls into the top 10-15% of gamers).
Thanks for this.

Apparently ddr5 also coming out soon.

So basically just upgrading the whole pc then?

Thanks

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thanks for this.

Apparently ddr5 also coming out soon.

So basically just upgrading the whole pc then?

Thanks
You'll have to wait and see, you'll probably still be fine even then, it will take a few years before devs target the next gen, and your PC is more than strong enough to compete with consoles, so you're still going to have hardware that matches the upper target market for a while.