Is it a good idea to switch to Afrihost capped?

iSteve

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Hi

I'm experiencing problems with mweb's speed during the evenings and I have cancelled my 2mb uncapped with them.

Is it a good idea to switch to Afrihost capped, cos at least it's unshaped data.

Or should I reinstate stay with Mweb?

I have been reading some bad posts about Afrihost so I'm not sure now.

I'm in Johannesburg.

Thank you!!
 
I bought a capped account because of their 25% off special for christmas.

Previously had been going through the troubles of having uncapped just like everyone else.

It's okay I guess. It's better than being on their uncapped packages.

Downloads on my 4Mbps line rarely reach full speed (get about 300K/sec). Youtube still buffers like crazy for the simplest of videos (resolution wise) whether or not you're in/out of business hours.

Currently level of happiness is satisfactory, but yeah the move to MTN did not affect me positively (like many).

Moving to OpenWeb next month. Got one of their capped accounts they had on special. Hoping it'll be a different story.

HTH
 
Last edited:
The Openweb Gold and Silver accounts really are in a different league.
 
as a Jo'burg AH subscriber I haven't had any major problems since the switch over to MTN, my service seems to be running pretty much as it was under IS
 
I recently tried their capped offering and was very disappointed, its is only marginally better than their uncapped product tbh. Stay away.
 
What is the Openweb Vanilla Uncapped package?

is it slower than silver?
 
Plugg (IS) is currently excellent.

Agreed. I switched from Afrihost Capped because it was too slow. In fact, it was slower than Plugg Uncapped 10mbps even during business hours. Maybe Afrihost has improved and I just did not stick around long enough, but I certainly cannot recommend them. Not even their capped offerings.
 
I was on an Afrihost 60GB capped account, since the switch to MTN all went downhill... poor download speed and terrible latency were the main problem. Browsing was ok for the most part.

Switched to PLuggs 4mb Uncapped. No hassles so far at all, actually seems faster and I have a better ping for gaming than when Afrihost was on IS
 
What is the Openweb Vanilla Uncapped package?

is it slower than silver?

I'm on openweb vanilla. Although it gets lowest priority compared to silver and up, its still pretty decent. Browsing and youtube is sometimes a pain in the ass (not often), but download are always running at acceptable speeds. It's worth it in my opinion.
 
Hi

I'm experiencing problems with mweb's speed during the evenings and I have cancelled my 2mb uncapped with them.

Is it a good idea to switch to Afrihost capped, cos at least it's unshaped data.

Or should I reinstate stay with Mweb?

I have been reading some bad posts about Afrihost so I'm not sure now.

I'm in Johannesburg.

Thank you!!

We've had our fair share of technical problems, but our network is now performing well, and giving good speeds and service, especially on capped accounts. We are still in the process of rolling out our full network plan with MTN, which will include more local ICP (to reduce latency and increase speeds) as well as upgraded international service and upgrades to the network itself.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to ask any questions :)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X