Is it really that bad in SA?

Yeah rest of Africa gives off a very different vibe in that regard. No idea how the actual crime stats compare but it certainly felt like I should be more on the lookout for stammers and pickpockets than violent crime.


Got the same - also Kenya. Actually felt safer there...one just gets harassed a lot by people trying to sell stuff

Yeah you get harassed a bit but then again you never feel unsafe about it really.
 
On another note I wasn't sure whether to tip the white petrol attendant the other day like I do with all the black guys. :p

How anyone reads into that is up to them. I'm just being honest :o

Since using my credit card to pay for petrol I just don't tip at all any more.
 
On another note I wasn't sure whether to tip the white petrol attendant the other day like I do with all the black guys. :p

How anyone reads into that is up to them. I'm just being honest :o

It you don't treat them all the same you be raaaaciiist :p.
 
Since using my credit card to pay for petrol I just don't tip at all any more.
Ever since seeing the payroll of a petrol station I make sure I tip...was a bit of a shock how low their fixed wage is.

Rarely tip more than R2 though. Well used to
 
Ever since seeing the payroll of a petrol station I make sure I tip...was a bit of a shock how low their fixed wage is.

Rarely tip more than R2 though. Well used to

What's the average salary? I heard it actually wasn't too bad and well over minimum wage.
 
So after a few months of looking at what is going on in SA it seems it IS really that bad in SA. :( My mom was right however my husband still wants to return to SA regardless...:wtf:
 
So after a few months of looking at what is going on in SA it seems it IS really that bad in SA. :( My mom was right however my husband still wants to return to SA regardless...:wtf:
What specifically is bad according to you?
 
I suspected it was Dubai - my cousins had a similar arrangement and came back here.

Your Mom sounds, forgive me, a tad dramatic, but that could be because she doesn't take change easily?

That said, I have mildly discouraged my own son from returning from England as I don't think his employment prospects are as good here, as he's White.

You have a son? :erm:

Poor thing :o
 
I agree with this.

It's not great here, but it's not as bad as your mother makes it out to be. I feel positive that we'll have change soon. Don't know why. I've never felt like it will get better before.

We just need people to stand together and fight for what is right for everyone and not just a select few.

Also #VoteForChange :p

What about now?

So much for change :whistle:
 
If you've saved enough money or have investments, maybe in a strong foreign currency, South Africa can still be awesome, you can ignore the problems and live in luxury. Standard of living is really affordable.

Also, maybe consider that your mom does not want you back :D

Are you the feminist c****?

If so i need to apologize to Aquila
 
Yeah, I wouldn't even think of coming back if I was already abroad. More to OP's situation, though. I wouldn't want to live in Dubai or anywhere in the ME for an extended period of time. So since you're already used to being expats - go somewhere else that you think you'll adjust best in.

I find it the whole 'all places have their problems' argument to be quite disingenuous, tbh. All problems aren't the same and our capacity to deal with them aren't either. I can deal with slightly higher food prices. I can't deal with getting stabbed or shot.

Another factor that's a bit less tangible but very real is the mental prison we end up living in as a result of our circumstances. We built physical prisons to live in, but end up cordoning off our lives mentally, too, out of fear.

Doesn't have to be like that. Especially since we're living in a time with the greatest global mobility.

And I simply don't see much of a silver lining for SA at the moment, economically or politically. So yes, we're experiencing an economic downturn along with the rest of the developing world, but our government isn't particularly interested in addressing it, and there's no real reason to think they will be any time soon.

With the reality of skyrocketing inflation, dreary economic prospects generally and an incredibly volatile political climate, I don't see why I should try to 'stick it out' here, considering the first chance at changing national government is only in 2019, and it doesn't look like any real change will be coming then either. If it does, the EFF looks most likely to have a surge in support, and they'll be even worse than the current lot in charge.

No thanks.

Wow some logic for a change :erm:

is Jesus coming back? :eek:
 
it is a shytehole, but it's considerably less of a shyte hole than Dubai is, and the way people are going on about this country you'd swear we were dodging bullets every day and being kidnapped every month.

maybe both sides have unrealistic views of the country, and it's up to them to come back and see for themselves. it's not like they CAN stay in Dubai so they have to go somewhere, so they might as well be prepared

nobody is ignoring the problems the country has, yet after bitching and whining about what a **** country we live in, people can go about their happy lives until the get the opportunity to bitch again

HA!
Some do already and some are :crylaugh:
 
Last edited:
Above all the attribute that I notice most acutely in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc is that the people are far more obsessed with getting on with things and being productive. They are utterly pragmatic and don't have the time of day for endless quibbling about skin colour. Literally nobody is "unemployed", because they have an inherent culture of family productivity - you can't get a job, no problem, you open a stall at the market or a little shop or some or other small scale business and the entire family gets involved.

this.. this is my attitude but I am getting a bit gatvol with the lack of it in others. And I get this from my own family members, somedays I think I was abducted or swapped as a baby. Its also not just about skin color as it can be your wealth setup, cultural influences you grow up with etc.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X