Is JAVA needed to be installed if one is using Windows 8.1 ?

ZodiacLegend

I have checked online about installing Java and it seems that there is no need to install the 64 bit version.

Java Runtime Environment 8.0 build 5 (32-bit)

Is JAVA needed on Windows 8.1 ?

I don't have java installed and everything is working fine ...

Would love some advice ?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
You need Java installed if you want to run applications on your machine that was written in Java. So no, it isn't needed.

kianm

Honorary Master
Java only needed when you run java developed apps, example some online banking sites require it.

Ryansr

Expert Member
This is almost like asking if Adobe Flash is needed to browse the Internet. :p

ZodiacLegend

You need Java installed if you want to run applications on your machine that was written in Java. So no, it isn't needed.

I understand that if anything was designed using java then I would need it installed.

But I am just browsing the internet and won't be installing any apps that are purely dependent on java.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I understand that if anything was designed using java then I would need it installed.

But I am just browsing the internet and won't be installing any apps that are purely dependent on java.

Your computer will tell when you need to install Java. If you are worried about it - keep calm, install Java and browse on

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
You dont need it but its nice to have it, EG: Speedtest.net uses it for packet loss.

Gnome

Executive Member
Java only needed when you run java developed apps, example some online banking sites require it.
Java client side applications have been the focus of so many security vulnerabilities, any bank that uses that I would avoid like the plague.
I think you are confusing the fact that most banks run their web-site using Java on the server side. Or perhaps you think of Javascript (something completely different, kinda like saying a motorboat is the same as a motorbike because both start with the word motor)

If you install a 32 bit browser then you should install 32 bit JRE, provided the purpose of install JRE is for your browser.
If you want to use a 64 bit browser install 64 bit JRE.

Keep in mind, many applications (which includes many browser plugins) haven't transitioned from 32 -> 64 bit. 64 bit browsers are available but at this point in time you are shooting yourself in the foot installing them imo.

kianm

Honorary Master
Java client side applications have been the focus of so many security vulnerabilities, any bank that uses that I would avoid like the plague.
I think you are confusing the fact that most banks run their web-site using Java on the server side. Or perhaps you think of Javascript (something completely different, kinda like saying a motorboat is the same as a motorbike because both start with the word motor)

If you install a 32 bit browser then you should install 32 bit JRE, provided the purpose of install JRE is for your browser.
If you want to use a 64 bit browser install 64 bit JRE.

Keep in mind, many applications (which includes many browser plugins) haven't transitioned from 32 -> 64 bit. 64 bit browsers are available but at this point in time you are shooting yourself in the foot installing them imo.
I know the difference between java and javascript and here im reffering to actual java which requires the JRE 32bit for most apps, & an example is fnb their site uses some java,&then also there are desktop apps which require JRE. And nowadays a number of software components have become the focus of many security vulnerabilities like the flashplayer etc but if you are using a service that utilises the plugins you have little choice. I wouldnt stop doing my online banking or change my bank because of such but instead you just have to keep your plugins upto date.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I know the difference between java and javascript and here im reffering to actual java which requires the JRE 32bit for most apps, & an example is fnb their site uses some java,&then also there are desktop apps which require JRE. And nowadays a number of software components have become the focus of many security vulnerabilities like the flashplayer etc but if you are using a service that utilises the plugins you have little choice. I wouldnt stop doing my online banking or change my bank because of such but instead you just have to keep your plugins upto date.
FNB uses Java client side? Never knew.