IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting the URL on such a popular forum is a bit daft...to be polite.

Some journo is going to latch onto this and post on a popular news website/newspaper, and IS will be forced to shut the service down or kill the binaries like SAIX.

Look at some of the early SA bittorrent sites. The only successful ones are INVITE only.
Maybe, maybe not. I think that as long as their customer base continues to grow because of the newsgroups they'd be foolish not to maintain them and even build upon them.

Keep in mind also that torrents put a far greater strain on any network while the newsgroups are single directional and less resource intensive and they can be easily controlled.

Then again - I havent mentioned a newsgroup addy in ages. Fight club rules and all that. ;)
 
Fight Club

There is no Flight Club. Seriously. Don't ask about it cause it does not exist and by asking you may offend. ;)
 
Last edited:
Off topic isn't the biggest problem in a lot of threads :)

Yeah, Since we've all established that the IS news server is pretty much down and up every day. Have not been able to access the beta news server in days.
 
Maybe, maybe not. I think that as long as their customer base continues to grow because of the newsgroups they'd be foolish not to maintain them and even build upon them.

Keep in mind also that torrents put a far greater strain on any network while the newsgroups are single directional and less resource intensive and they can be easily controlled.

Then again - I havent mentioned a newsgroup addy in ages. ##### #### rules and all that. ;)

:)

I'm concerned that they might not have a choice.
Hehe, I'm starting to feel like a dooms day prophet. I'm gonna stick my head in the sand and hope for the best.
 
We won't have binaries for much longer if the n00bs insist on posting about them here, let alone in General Discussion. It's like watching a trainwreck unfold in slow motion :(
 
You know when binaries will no longer be available when newshosting, easynews and giganet (worlds biggest news servers) close down, seeing though i dont how people can download 30gb of text news ;)

IS have had the news server for years and im pretty sure it will continue for many years to come ;)
 
We won't have binaries for much longer if the n00bs insist on posting about them here, let alone in General Discussion. It's like watching a trainwreck unfold in slow motion :(
Some do seem to be on a mission to brag and boast about the service - and they're usually the first to moan when their supply of porn slows to a trickle as a result.

There's a perfectly good board over at newshost.za.net.
You know when binaries will no longer be available when newshosting, easynews and giganet (worlds biggest news servers) close down, seeing though i dont how people can download 30gb of text news ;)
You know full well that IS could axe bin files if they wanted to. International access is only relevant when you have international access.
 
We won't have binaries for much longer if the n00bs insist on posting about them here, let alone in General Discussion. It's like watching a trainwreck unfold in slow motion :(

Yeah I'm starting to think the same. Can't even get a single connection this morning.
 
Look, IS does have a limit to what their isdsl network can handle and they have limited the number of connections and speed per a connection to a user. So binaries arent going anywhere its more that word is getting out and the news servers / IS's backbone is unable to handle it, especially with all the 4mbiters...

Do remember that IS supply access to MANY business customers via massive diginet lines and i know that quite a few of them also RAPE the news servers and did way before most of us even got wind of usenet and binaries...

And im pretty sure most of this limiting of connections came to be due to all the idiot n00bs making 200+ connections. So conclusion, f$ck you n00bs that made 200+connections!
 
I think things would go a lot better (not so up and down) if we could get everyone to just use 2-4 connections.

Logically it makes sense: If everyone used just 2 connections then everybody would max out those 2 connections. If everybody used 4 connections, then the server gets hammered, slowing it down, and potentially disadvantaging the 2-connection users.

So let's experiment! If at any point you find the news servers slowing down again, try reducing your connections instead of wishing you could make even more. It's worth a try!
 
Yeah I'm starting to think the same. Can't even get a single connection this morning.

I can get exactly one thread going with news.isdsl.net; try increasing the server timeout value, and also the number of retries on error.
 
Just to reaffirm my point, I currently have 1 connection to each server and am downloading at full speed (384, 40kB/s)
Youre fighting against the inherent nature of the typical SA user but sure, I'll give it a go when I start using IS again.
 
Youre fighting against the inherent nature of the typical SA user but sure, I'll give it a go when I start using IS again.

Hehe, against human nature in general I think. "Oh noes, I'm only getting 5 kB/s from this server, let's create 500 connections, then I'll get 5x500=2500!"

Still going strong, for what it's worth. ;)
 
Hehe, against human nature in general I think. "Oh noes, I'm only getting 5 kB/s from this server, let's create 500 connections, then I'll get 5x500=2500!"

Still going strong, for what it's worth. ;)
I specified SA users because the sense of what the internet should be has been warped by the limitations we're forced to endure.
 
Hmmm this is very very interesting...

4 connections to newz.isnet.net gives me 20k/s
1 connection to newz.isnet.net gives me 37k/s
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X