Is the Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate worth it?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
This certificate came to my attention recently and seems like something I can power through in less than 2 months.

WHAT YOU WILL LEARN​

• Gain an immersive understanding of the practices and processes used by a junior or associate data analyst in their day-to-day job
    • Learn key analytical skills (data cleaning, analysis, & visualization) and tools (spreadsheets, SQL, R programming, Tableau)
    • Understand how to clean and organize data for analysis, and complete analysis and calculations using spreadsheets, SQL and R programming
    • Learn how to visualize and present data findings in dashboards, presentations and commonly used visualization platforms.

Build the Skills to Get Job Ready​

Whether you’re looking to start a new career, or change your current one, Professional Certificates on Coursera help you become job ready. Learn at your own pace, whenever and wherever it’s most convenient for you. Enroll today and explore a new career path with a 7 day free trial. You can pause your learning or end your subscription at any time.

Hands-On Projects​

Apply your skills with hands-on projects and build a portfolio that showcases your job readiness to potential employers. You'll need to successfully finish the project(s) to earn your Certificate.

Earn a Career Credential​

When you complete all of the courses in the program, you'll earn a Certificate to share with your professional network as well as unlock access to career support resources to help you kickstart your new career. Many Professional Certificates have hiring partners that recognize the Professional Certificate credential and others can help prepare you for a certification exam. You can find more information on individual Professional Certificate pages where it applies.

I have a marketing degree and experience with the online marketing (AdWords, SEO, Social Media and all that Jazz) for small/medium sized businesses. Though past a few years been working for myself photography, filming and video editing.

With something like this help me pivot into the corporate world?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Depends.

Do you want to be a data scientist. Business analyst or what is your end goal?

Personally speaking there are more comprehensive data science courses out there to do.

Tableau is also a software program used for data analysis. Download a trial and give it a spin. See if you like it.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
What do you do in you current day job?
Currently I'm only making money off Adsense and savings. Pandemic destroyed my business. ,mentioned above.
Depends.

Do you want to be a data scientist. Business analyst or what is your end goal?

Personally speaking there are more comprehensive data science courses out there to do.

Tableau is also a software program used for data analysis. Download a trial and give it a spin. See if you like it.
From the research apart from the SQL and R it seems pretty similar to work I've done, I've use to analyze data from Facebook and other social media and still work closely with Google Analytics.

Personally something creative is more my jam, so I was thinking a position that involves online content strategy would be ideal for me.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Currently I'm only making money off Adsense and savings. Pandemic destroyed my business. ,mentioned above.

From the research apart from the SQL and R it seems pretty similar to work I've done, I've use to analyze data from Facebook and other social media and still work closely with Google Analytics.

Personally something creative is more my jam, so I was thinking a position that involves online content strategy would be ideal for me.
Check the market requirements.
I don't know any content strategists. Not something you hear about on a daily basis.

There's a difference between data science, business analytics and website/commerce/traffic/marketing analytics.

Have you thought about focusing on Media Production? Improving your filming, video and content creation skills?

I've been in the industry and content creators have a vital role to play.

prOd

Expert Member
Yea sorry missed that.

I would rather ask myself the question if data analytics and its related fields is something you are interested in or if it can provide value within your current area of expertise, rather than if this specific course will help you or not.

The course is probably good for beginners in the field, there are quite a few reviews on it on the tube. You can always try the 7 day trail and see? At worst learning a bit of SQL will probably never be a wasted opportunity, just my 2c.

cguy

Executive Member
While I don’t think doing the course will be a waste (it’s an incredibly valuable skill to have in general), I would expect that the competition for the better jobs will be quite tough (people with stats, maths, engineering degrees and such).

I quickly searched for Google’s own Data Analyst roles:
F69D6122-9546-471C-8B60-322A3BDA3A0E.jpeg
ECBF2ED4-1A2C-469F-B465-340358A0A3D2.jpeg

13CCD587-6D22-499F-B434-C3DECC972055.jpeg
F4D11533-6BD2-4E50-8F0D-8625C51A981B.jpeg