Is this the end for Vidi?

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Unfornately, while their offering wasn't bad, they had a terrible player on PC, no variable bitrate streaming and many missing other features.

Toby

Unfornately, while their offering wasn't bad, they had a terrible player on PC, no variable bitrate streaming and many missing other features.

And until Showmax has a working effective client on Apple TV, I will not look at them either.

Three drivers for success in this market

A good Client supporting all the major physical and virtual platforms,
A good and constently updating Cataloque.
No Upfront fee / Lock-in on Hardware required

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Paywalls make Netflix with all its "trickery" to get it working a bargain.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

I tried it once and the playback was horrible. Would pause every 2 minutes for 2 seconds and then start again. And it was not our connection. Youtube was working fine with a HD stream.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Vidi has a terrible user experience, especially if you're used to A grade offerings like Netflix.

Swartblits

My problem with RSA VODs at the moment is everyone is doing a half a**ed job of it.
They fail to understand that RSA is screaming for a DSTV replacement.
They support web and devices but skimp over the biggest screen in the house.
So Showmax still dont support apple airplay never mind a ROKU or Apple TV app.
I refuse to buy a new television for these services.

I dont understand the business logic here. ROKU, APPLE TV cost minimal for a subscriber to buy yet VIDI and SHOWMAX elect to rather develop Smart tv apps. VIDI only works on smart tvs 2013 and up, Showmax only on 2012 tvs and up.

In the mean time the looming Netflix is coming while our local market twiddle thumbs...
Remember there's no decoder investment to keep subscribers with you guys, its bye bye in an instant.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
Personally have not tried any of the local guys. Was kinda looking at ShowMax but right now there's nothing there (for me) that I don't have access to already with Netflix/Hulu/NTV. Unfortunately I still have dstv for the football (no, not for sports, for the football only) and the simplicity of being able to pause/rewind/fast-forward a game I'm watching or want to watch later is only available there atm.

Bobbin

Executive Member
apple airplay never mind a ROKU or Apple TV app

Do people actually bother with this crap? What for? :) A browser can work on everything and it's easier to develop on a single platform :/ HTML5 is the future. Problem solved for 100% users and 100% reachability. I'm all about lazy convenience when it comes to TV :p To be fair I've never read up on Roku or Apple TV :/

VIDI did not have variable quality for streaming (Crucial with SA bandwidth), and their pricing structure was a bit off-ish (Pay monthly then pay again for content). Showmax is way better but nowhere near perfect (AFAIK they also don't offer lower quality streaming).

Content is equal in priority. Showmax seems to be building content at a fair rate which is good so I support them on this.

Last edited:

Nephew_

... Showmax is way better but nowhere near perfect (AFAIK they also don't offer lower quality streaming) ...
They actually do, my 2mb line is too slow for Showmax, then they adjust the streaming quality lower and it just becomes horrible.

DJ...

Banned
Do people actually bother with this crap? What for? :) A browser can work on everything and it's easier to develop on a single platform :/ HTML5 is the future. Problem solved for 100% users and 100% reachability. I'm all about lazy convenience when it comes to TV :p To be fair I've never read up on Roku or Apple TV :/

VIDI did not have variable quality for streaming (Crucial with SA bandwidth), and their pricing structure was a bit off-ish (Pay monthly then pay again for content). Showmax is way better but nowhere near perfect (AFAIK they also don't offer lower quality streaming).

Content is equal in priority. Showmax seems to be building content at a fair rate which is good so I support them on this.

Some corrections:

Vidi do offer variable quality streaming up to 1080p.
Their pricing structure is identical to all other providers: new release/DVD/blockbuster releases they pay a fortune for, and you pay for each of those on demand. For all ordinary items it's included as part of the subscription.
Showmax deliver from international servers. Vidi deliver from local servers. Vidi negotiate direct with each studio, while ShowMax sources from content aggregators. Thereafter the only difference is their content. Both are very similar in that respect, but overall I prefer the Vidi platform and local delivery...

Last edited:

Knyro

PhD in Everything
My problem with RSA VODs at the moment is everyone is doing a half a**ed job of it.
They fail to understand that RSA is screaming for a DSTV replacement.
They support web and devices but skimp over the biggest screen in the house.
So Showmax still dont support apple airplay never mind a ROKU or Apple TV app.
I refuse to buy a new television for these services.

I dont understand the business logic here. ROKU, APPLE TV cost minimal for a subscriber to buy yet VIDI and SHOWMAX elect to rather develop Smart tv apps. VIDI only works on smart tvs 2013 and up, Showmax only on 2012 tvs and up.

In the mean time the looming Netflix is coming while our local market twiddle thumbs...
Remember there's no decoder investment to keep subscribers with you guys, its bye bye in an instant.

Or PS4/Xbox One apps, people in SA are more likely to have one of those IMO. I never hear of Roku/Apple TV outside of my geekier friends and MyBB. I'd wager most Saffers haven't heard of them.

kianm

Honorary Master
Besides the bandwidth constraints and the somewhat poor library, did these guys market themselves well enough? If one is not a mybb reader what are their chances of knowing about Vidi?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Besides the bandwidth constraints and the somewhat poor library, did these guys market themselves well enough? If one is not a mybb reader what are their chances of knowing about Vidi?

If you read/browse the S.Times like a fair number of people do on a Sunday then you will certainly know about Vidi.

Ads aplenty....

kianm

Honorary Master
If you read/browse the S.Times like a fair number of people do on a Sunday then you will certainly know about Vidi.

Ads aplenty....
Ok so people are either just not interested or do not have the required connectivity