Is your DStv satellite dish too small?

In any case, the fact that MC now comes back and says most dishes installed for HD telly and DVB-S2 are now actually too small is their faux-pax, not the accredited installers or customer's

Just so there's no confusion: MultiChoice is actually denying that they'll switch to DVB-S2. However, I have document from a training session (and confirmation from a number of different knowledgable sources) that says otherwise.
 
Just so there's no confusion: MultiChoice is actually denying that they'll switch to DVB-S2. However, I have document from a training session (and confirmation from a number of different knowledgable sources) that says otherwise.

Multichoice are not known for telling the truth
They actually believe that their customer base have the IQ of a potplant
 
Just so there's no confusion: MultiChoice is actually denying that they'll switch to DVB-S2. However, I have document from a training session (and confirmation from a number of different knowledgable sources) that says otherwise.

Who at MC is denying this?
 
They didn't mention a specific person. The reply to my questions came back through the public/media relations channels.

That is very interesting. They have been recommending bigger dishes since the start, because of their intentions to switch to DVB-S2. Last year, when the CPA started, they had a roadshow for the trade. They advised installers to always recommend bigger dishes for all HD installs. This is coming soon, probably shortly after the switch to IS20.

It is important to note, that some good European composite dishes perform so well, a 70cm or 75cm will be sufficient for DVB-S2.

I don't really see a problem with supplying 60cm dishes for SD installations, as they will be good enough for that purpose for a good few more years. Most good installers will recommend a bigger dish for future proofing, but most clients will say no, because of the extra cost.
 
I want a refund on my DSTV subscription. They are broadcasting nonsense. Only my dad watches it for sport.
 
Quoting MC's answer on their forum

"As we said in the article, we recommend 60cm for SD and 80-90cm for HD. And we have installation vouchers that cover both. Of course subscribers don't have to use installation vouchers and can contract their own installation"

and my next question to them:

"Once again it might appear disingenuous of me, but where exactly in the article or anywhere else on this forum, have you ever recommended a 60cm dish? I reside in Cape Town (firstly outside the footprint center) and we experience 6 months of good weather, if we're lucky. During winter 80% of the issues experienced by subscribers in this area, is related to insufficient dish sizes specified by your installation vouchers. You don't have to be an RF Engineer to see the objective (and common sense) behind the article and the questions asked by subscribers on this open forum.
So was that a typo or do you now also recommend 60cm dishes?"

two lines further:

"Question asked and answered. This thread will now be closed."
 
This could be the issue with mine. Before I got the HD decoder, my signal was perfect but now I can't even view all the items on the TV guide. MC dude told me its not installed properly. Balls! I'm going back to Compact. The extra R400 is not worth the additional 2 channels I use for sports
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X