nerf

Why would I buy a R20000 TV to watch what the SABC airs ?

grok

Honorary Master
Once the migration from analogue to digital terrestrial television is complete, viewers that do not use satellite services like DStv and TopTV will not be able to watch TV without a decoder-like set-top box.

Most of us consider that a blessing!

Crowley

Executive Member
As long as they don't bother me for a TV licence if I don't have a set top box.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
About those TV licences ... why should I pay for it if I pay for DSTv or TopTV? :whistling: :p

techead

Honorary Master
this is what I said the end of last year already... :rolleyes:

I'll try and find my post

Bern

Expert Member
As long as they don't bother me for a TV licence if I don't have a set top box.

My main excitement for the DTT story was being able to buy a new TV without having to get a stupid TV license for channels I will never watch:(

techead

Honorary Master
Jan 2012 people already knew this, and we posting articles about it a month before the launch?? really?? I willing to bet there are a LOT of people out there who in the last 6 months have been DUPED by some tard salesman who told them, "no buy this one, its got a digital tuner"

ai.. :rolleyes:

the sad fact of the matter is that most people dont understand the mechanics of it all. so the retailer says no get this model coz its got a digital tv tuner built in (vs the identical tv, just no digital tv tuner)

its sad really, so common people... educate yourself so you can make an informed decision

^^ 25 Jan 2012 ^^

lexis

Once the migration from analogue to digital terrestrial television is complete, viewers that do not use satellite services like DStv and TopTV will not be able to watch TV without a decoder-like set-top box.

This will be the end of tv licences. Surely DSTV and TopTV are not going to reveal the particulars of their customers.

scudsucker

Executive Member
This will be the end of tv licences. Surely DSTV and TopTV are not going to reveal the particulars of their customers.
I don't have a TV, so this might be ignorant.. but surely this will cement TV licenses?

If every TV set must have a "box" to get SABC, they will be able to control licenses the same way DSTV controls subscriptions: you don't pay, you get cut off.

Obviously this would not apply to those who have TVs and do not want SABC, but that is much fairer in my opinion. Only those who actually watch SABC will be required to pay for the license.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I don't have a TV, so this might be ignorant.. but surely this will cement TV licenses?

If every TV set must have a "box" to get SABC, they will be able to control licenses the same way DSTV controls subscriptions: you don't pay, you get cut off.

Obviously this would not apply to those who have TVs and do not want SABC, but that is much fairer in my opinion. Only those who actually watch SABC will be required to pay for the license.

That is a nightmare scenario for them. They would far rather have all the citizens paying for SABC regardless of whether they actually watch it or not.
They do already control it to some extent through being able to purchase a new TV (although it is pretty easy to get around that).

Macethy

Like one of the posters said earlier, who would use their R22000 tv to watch SABC?

My tv is only ever used for PS3/Xbox, and movies from the Blu Ray player, or stuff from the external HDD. Don't think i've ever watched tv shows on it...