Isn't this ILLEGAL???

milomak

Honorary Master
i am pretty sure that it is against the terms and conditions to distriibute the activation key even for the betas/RC1. I want to say i read this on the MS site but really can't remember.

you can share the ISO but each indivdiual needs to get their own key form MS.

charlie_82

Expert Member
I'd suggest you read more terms and conditions. Although assumption can be the mother of all fsck ups, I think it is safe to assume that MS have covered this already and this type of distribution is contrary to their ts and cs. There are plenty of other reason why this could be illegal though - the illegal distribution is just one imo...
i am pretty sure that it is against the terms and conditions to distriibute the activation key even for the betas/RC1. I want to say i read this on the MS site but really can't remember.

you can share the ISO but each indivdiual needs to get their own key form MS.
I don't think anyone's debating that this is wrong and this fool is trying to make money off innocent stupid people. I reported the ad and sent him a nasty response as well.

But you have to admit that there a host of excuses he can come up with to cover his ass

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just to clarify for those who suspect otherwise: Yes, it's illegal (the law is clear and certain). It's also breach of contract (certain, though untested in court).
1) Copyright law protects the right of the owner of the work to set the conditions and circumstances under which the work may be copied, replicated, etc. In this case the owner of the software has specifically and expressly excluded this type of copying. SA (and most countries) have criminalised flagrant copyright violations, especially when money is involved.
2) The EULA for the beta software also expressly proscribes this sort of copying and replication; the user assents to these terms as a material term of a contract. Breach of this material term amounts to breach of contract. Software vendors seldom if ever pursue legal remedies for breach of contract (a private action, and acceptance has to be proved) since most jurisdictions (including SA) have pretty good copyright protection under the criminal law regime.