Isn't this ILLEGAL???

charlie_82

Expert Member
Ah sorta...
This is one of the beta versions, I think.

He fails to mentions that and there can't possibly be a license for it either

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well i am not so sure it is illegal in all honesty, he could argue he was just charging for burning the cd as windows 7 beta's are available to everyone.

LFX

Expert Member
he could argue that, doubt it would hold legally though.
I still think it's illegal to distribute the keys to people who are supposed to register with ms to get free keys.
he is a chancer, don't even have aero running on his ad pics, lol

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well the keys are available for everyone on google, they give you the keys in all the releases so i am not convinced that it is illegal as anyone can download it.

I don't microsoft trying to stop torrents and nzb's in fact they are loving the fact that so many people are using the beta.

DJ...

Banned
Well i am not so sure it is illegal in all honesty, he could argue he was just charging for burning the cd as windows 7 beta's are available to everyone.
And after reading the ad, they'd ignore that kark excuse and prosecute him in any case...

killadoob

Honorary Master
Yea then surely sharing your windows 7 with other people like so many have done is also illegal?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Also looking at the screenshots he provided it looks like an old build of Win7...

My RC1 build looks VERY different to that.

DJ...

Banned
Yea then surely sharing your windows 7 with other people like so many have done is also illegal?
Maybe. But making a profit from doing so is most certainly illegal - how do you not see this point? :confused:

DJNgoma

Expert Member
And just when I thought I could start charging R1K for these babies...

charlie_82

Expert Member
Maybe. But making a profit from doing so is most certainly illegal - how do you not see this point? :confused:
Yeah but he can say it's for the disc & postage. Plus labour which you can pretty much charge anything for

charlie_82

Expert Member
Maybe... but the ad still fails to mention that it is Beta Software. so the ad could be pulled cos it is misleading.
Yup true.
I don't disagree that this is VERY wrong.
But I don't think anyone can do anything to him, legally...

I wonder how many people he's fooled. I mean not everyone knows that Win7 hasn't actually been released yet

DJ...

Banned
Yeah but he can say it's for the disc & postage. Plus labour which you can pretty much charge anything for
Yup so i doubt it is illegal.
I'd suggest you read more terms and conditions. Although assumption can be the mother of all fsck ups, I think it is safe to assume that MS have covered this already and this type of distribution is contrary to their ts and cs. There are plenty of other reason why this could be illegal though - the illegal distribution is just one imo...