Jeff Bezos will build a colony on the moon

eg2505

Honorary Master
those plans lead nowhere, look what NASA and ESA have done with the trillions in funding from taxpayers?

nowhere.

if Jeff had any brains, he'd take loans and try to mine an asteroid, just 1 asteroid has enough minerals to crash the world economy.
he would be the worlds first trillionaire.

again, my conspiracy brain is itching, why exactly does this sudden about face happen? what does he know that joe public doesn't know?

crysis

Expert Member
if Jeff had any brains, he'd take loans and try to mine an asteroid, just 1 asteroid has enough minerals to crash the world economy.
Now thats some cool si-fi schit! :twisted:

prOd

Expert Member
those plans lead nowhere, look what NASA and ESA have done with the trillions in funding from taxpayers?

nowhere.

again, my conspiracy brain is itching, why exactly does this sudden about face happen? what does he know that joe public doesn't know?
Why don't you go work for him, I'm sure he could use your brain seeing as he has none.

That's just nonsense... Mining an asteroid would be astronomically expensive and the planet is not short of "minerals" just yet.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Why don't you go work for him, I'm sure he could use your brain seeing as he has none.
I applied, even got an interview in CPT once, for AMAZON AWS even,

but my argument is their is something they are not telling the average joe, something they failing to mention to the larger world.
IE their is a good reason Humanity has since the 70's only sent robots into (deep) space,

I mean a asteroid has got enough minerals to easily crash the world economy, their is SO MUCH money out there,
that why aren't they considering it? I mean companies like jeff's easily will buy cheap REE from the DRC to make cheap phones,
and cause untold havoc and misery for thousands, by paying militias and child soldiers.

but taking a small gamble on minerals from an asteroid, would pay off handsomely, Very handsomely, if they bothered to look.
the real reason isnt cost, its something else, my money is on a (secretive) space treaty or some law preventing humanity from fully exploring our solar system.

I mean if you go back a few centuries, why was the New world (America) even settled?
for minerals and resources, and it took many weeks to cross the atlantic in a sailing ship,

but people and big business was behind it then, and look how that turned out.
yes many dies, and it was hard and ardous, but eventually got commonplace, where today a flight from london to New york is what 8 hours?

when it used to take 8 weeks.

so what exactly is preventing us from harvesting a asteroid? aside from cost, that would be covered many times over should they be successful?

why not today? whats stopping us? besides something they aren't telling us.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member

/snip
How about its very hard to send autonomous machines to a asteroid to mine it? I mean we can barely get self driving cars to work and we want to send one to an asteroid?

And even if we tug an asteroid into orbit... Imagine if that asteroid's orbit started to decay?

You are giving governments and technology too much credit, we are not ready to play with asteroids effectively yet.

but my argument is their is something they are not telling the average joe, something they failing to mention to the larger world.
IE their is a good reason Humanity has since the 70's only sent robots into (deep) space,

I mean a asteroid has got enough minerals to easily crash the world economy, their is SO MUCH money out there,
that why aren't they considering it? I mean companies like jeff's easily will buy cheap REE from the DRC to make cheap phones,
and cause untold havoc and misery for thousands, by paying militias and child soldiers.

but taking a small gamble on minerals from an asteroid, would pay off handsomely, Very handsomely, if they bothered to look.
the real reason isnt cost, its something else, my money is on a (secretive) space treaty or some law preventing humanity from fully exploring our solar system.

I mean if you go back a few centuries, why was the New world (America) even settled?
for minerals and resources, and it took many weeks to cross the atlantic in a sailing ship,

yes many dies, and it was hard and ardous, but eventually got commonplace, where today a flight from london to New york is what 8 hours?

so what exactly is preventing us from harvesting a asteroid? aside from cost, that would be covered many times over should they be successful?

wtf are you smoking? If you stopped for one second and thought you would realise how ridiculous this notion is.

To start off an asteroid is not a magic package full of useful materials, the vast majority are just dust and ice, to find even one that has a useful amount of anything in it would cost TRILLIONS...

The number of encounters a man made craft has had with an asteroid/comet: 4, 2 of which were crashed on purpose, one failed and one landed for literally a second to bring a few grains of dust back.

Total cost of these 4 missions, over 2 billion dollars.

Think about this for a second...

a Normal man, working 8 hours produces around let's say 1oz of Gold. So that's about $1 300 or R 16 900 (excluding cost deductions)

An Asteroid moves at around 25km per second, if it took you 8 hours to mine an ounce you would have traveled 43 200 000 km in that 8 hours. I'm curious how you will get that mined minerals back to earth seeing it has traveled over 43million kms from where you started mining 8 hours ago :D

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
wtf are you smoking? If you stopped for one second and thought you would realise how ridiculous this notion is.

To start off an asteroid is not a magic package full of useful materials, the vast majority are just dust and ice, to find even one that has a useful amount of anything in it would cost TRILLIONS...

The number of encounters a man made craft has had with an asteroid/comet: 4, 2 of which were crashed on purpose, one failed and one landed for literally a second to bring a few grains of dust back.

FYI, science have found a few asteroids worth mining already :whistling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

Cray

Honorary Master
Think about this for a second...

a Normal man, working 8 hours produces around let's say 1oz of Gold. So that's about $1 300 or R 16 900 (excluding cost deductions)

An Asteroid moves at around 25km per second, if it took you 8 hours to mine an ounce you would have traveled 43 200 000 km in that 8 hours. I'm curious how you will get that mined minerals back to earth seeing it has traveled over 43million kms from where you started mining 8 hours ago :D
Asteroid redirection was something being investigated by NASA (although this was primarily to stave off an extinction level event) but some scenarios would be to change the orbit of said asteroid to one around the earth or even the moon.

OCP

Expert Member

This and the fact that space ships are tiny and drilling/mining equipment is heavy and cumbersome.
If by some miracle they managed to get onto an asteroid and mine successfully; how would they get those minerals back to earth?

Sorry to break your foil hat here buddy but there is no conspiracy to be found here; we are just not ready yet for mining asteroids.

Asteroid redirection was something being investigated by NASA (although this was primarily to stave off an extinction level event) but some scenarios would be to change the orbit of said asteroid to one around the earth or even the moon.
I highly doubt we'd be able to slow an asteroid enough to keep it in orbit around the earth. Even if possible, not in our lifetime. Much easier to throw something off-course vs slowing it to a stop in orbit :eek:

Cray

Honorary Master
I highly doubt we'd be able to slow an asteroid enough to keep it in orbit around the earth. Even if possible, not in our lifetime. Much easier to throw something off-course vs slowing it to a stop in orbit :eek:
An interesting article about a near earth asteroid here...

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/425263/a-plan-to-place-an-asteroid-in-earth-orbit/

particularly good candidate is a 10-meter object called 2008EA9 which will pass within a million kilometres or so of Earth in 2049. 2008EA9 has a very similar orbital velocity as Earth’s. Baoyin and co calculate that it could be fired into Earth orbit by changing its velocity by 410 metres per second. That’s tiny.

This nudge should place the asteroid in an orbit at about twice the distance of the Moon. From there it can be studied and mined, they say.
Again, this is only a 10m asteroid but it certainly seems feasible....

Archer

Honorary Master
Go outside the box a little ;)
You'd only need to change the orbit such that it comes close to Earth once in a while (like every few months) where you can transfer what you need to. That kind of orbit manipulation would require much less effort