Expert Member
Just receive a shipment from Banggood:

2 x POW R2's
1 x RF Bridge
6 x Mini two way switches
3 x DW1's
2 x PIR2's
1 x 433mhz 4 button remote

I'm going to have some fun this weekend.

I already have:
4 x Basic's
2 x POW R2's
1 x 4ch R2
2 x SV's

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Ordered 13/12/19
Left China on 15/12/19
Recorded in JHB 17/12/19
Paxi collected from Buffalo only on 2/1/20
Left JHB for DBN on 6/1/20
Delivered in the sticks yesterday

Biggest delay is the hand over from Buffalo to Paxi. Paxi is in no hurry to move packages either.

But hey, less than R60 postage and tax free, I don't mind waiting an extra week. If I order it locally the items are twice the price, the postage is R120 (because I live in the sticks) and it takes a minimum of a week.

T-Man

Thanks.

Ordered 13/12/19
Left China on 15/12/19
Recorded in JHB 17/12/19
Paxi collected from Buffalo only on 2/1/20
Left JHB for DBN on 6/1/20
Delivered in the sticks yesterday

Biggest delay is the hand over from Buffalo to Paxi. Paxi is in no hurry to move packages either.

But hey, less than R60 postage and tax free, I don't mind waiting an extra week. If I order it locally the items are twice the price, the postage is R120 (because I live in the sticks) and it takes a minimum of a week.

Tander

Executive Member
I was wondering if it was a good idea or not to order from Banggood.

Don't mind waiting a little longer either.

I have just ordered the following locally to get me started:

2 x POW R2's
1 x Basic
2 x SV
1 x usb flasher

Should be an interesting weekend, (If it all arrives in time)

callen

Just receive a shipment from Banggood:

2 x POW R2's
1 x RF Bridge
6 x Mini two way switches
3 x DW1's
2 x PIR2's
1 x 433mhz 4 button remote

I'm going to have some fun this weekend.

I already have:
4 x Basic's
2 x POW R2's
1 x 4ch R2
2 x SV's
How much did the POW R2 cost you?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
@Dairyfarmer you flashing the Pow's with Tasmota? If you are can you share the steps you take to do so?
Been looking into tasmota but I'll need to build a MQTT server? Considering this route with a Pi4 as my internet is not always reliable.

I did flash a Basic the other day. Very easy. Used NodeMCU flasher for Windows, a FTDI, an old motherboard usb cable and some pins off an old pcb. I soldered nothing to the Sonoff. Pic to follow of the cable I make using a

By not soldering you can just plug in, flash, pull out, next!

Last edited:

callen

R54.05 tax free delivery
POW R2 = R137.22 (also available in packs of 2, 5, 6, 8 and 10)
POW DIY WIFI Wireless Long Distance = R134.33
Thanks! That's really cheap for the POW R2. Will probably pick up a few.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
The mini switches are also very cheap at R110. A bit cheaper is you buy in multiples. I got them, and am going to install them there the switch wires and fitting wires split. Else you have run a neutral to your switch box. Not ideal to use the earth as a neutral in a permanent installation.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Been looking into tasmota but I'll need to build a MQTT server? Considering this route with a Pi4 as my internet is not always reliable.

I did flash a Basic the other day. Very easy. Used NodeMCU flasher for Windows, a FTDI, an old motherboard usb cable and some pins off an old pcb. I soldered nothing to the Sonoff. Pic to follow of the cable I make using a

By not soldering you can just plug in, flash, pull out, next!
This is definitely easier:-
17/12/2019: How to Flash Sonoff to Tasmota :- For Windows use Tasmota-PyFlasher https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/wiki/Flashing . Latest Tasmota Flash Binary will be found here:- http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/tasmota.bin

Also get Termite(https://www.compuphase.com/software_termite.htm) , so that once your sonoff is flashed, and it reboot with tasmota, you can use the FTDI connection to send the configuration for WiFi etc

This is what I normally paste into the terminal using Temite connected to the Tasmota Sonoff after reboot.

Backlog SSID1 WIFIAP; Password1 WIFIPASSWORD; MqttHost HASSIOIPADDRESS; MqttUser MQTTUSERNAME; MqttPassword REDACTED; Hostname Pool_Pump; MqttClient Pool_Pump; Topic Pool_Pump; FriendlyName1 Pool-Pump

Second config I push into each tasmota:-
backlog Switchretain 1;Powerretain 1;Timezone 2;latitude -26.000000;longitude 28.000000

Where everything in bold needs to be adapted to your specific use case.

Then you should see the device come online connect to your WiFI and then you will be able to connect to the web page to do other things