Justice Project SA warns Sanral

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.ewn.co.za/Story.aspx?Id=81253

The Justice Project South Africa on Monday said it will be taking legal action against the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) officials if they are found threatening motorists into buying e-tags.

Motorists used social networking site Twitter to complain about a road block held by Sanral officials over the weekend.

Motorists claimed representatives said they would be fined if they did not buy an e-tag for the Gauteng tolling system.

The system, which was meant to be implemented in February, has been postponed.

The Johannesburg Metro Police Department said it was not part of any such road block and Sanral has not yet responded to the allegations.

The justice project's Howard Dembovsky said no one should be forced into buying an e-tag.

“There is no law in South Africa that proclaims you must have an e-tag. Telling people that they have to buy it is unlawful and is tantamount to extortion,” he said.

WTF? Is this company being run by a bunch of Thugs?
Please arrest them immediately! :mad:

Mila

Honorary Master
FARK them. They can fine till all the trees are chopped down. Show me where my tax money went.

Wall

Sports Addict
This e-toll is fast becoming a massive **** up. Not a day goes by without more and more BS from SANRAL.

Rabobi

Honorary Master
I have seen no evidence about this so called road block anywhere. Anyone have proof?

Anonymous_Coward

Since when can Sanral use blue strobe lights on its trailers? I saw one trailer with its blinkenlights activated once.

I thought by law only law-enforcement officers are allowed to.

And this road blockage is absolute bulldust. Show us the proof it happened.

Ricard

Expert Member
Could this be the Blue-light gang trying to get people to open their wallets and then rob them?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Much as I'm against SANRAL, I would need to see some proof that this road block happened..

If it did, then heads MUST roll and publicly.

Anonymous_Coward

If ever those clowns corral me up in a roablock, I will tell them to go suck some **** - they first must show me the legislation where they can hold roadblocks etc...

Also will tell them to f**** o***** as I don't have money or whatever with me. If they take my number plates etc, then I'll charge them with fraud as I did not consent to my number plates being taken down and fed into their silly poot system.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
I realise that it's not proof as such, but there was a twitpic of a SANRAL truck-and-trailer on Twitter yesterday on one of the onramps, accompanying one of the accusations. Orange cones, looked to be setting up a road block to me - but what do I know?

Several people tweeted about this, and the Justice Project (or whatever it's called) has asked for people to come forward if they were coerced in any way.

More than one person, from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening, is claiming this happened.
So - not definitive, but suggestive.

Rabobi

Honorary Master
I have seen these chops at the Beyers Naude N1 onramp. They were in a mini bus thing full of Etag logo's etc. They were just standing there watching cars drive past. In all likelyhood they were campaigning and not road blocking ffs