Karmic sync with HTC

Mononoke

I am very new to Ubuntu (my first taste of linux and loving it!) Need some help with getting Ubuntu to connect to my HTC Touch, connected via USB. When I plug it in dmesg gives:

[106864.749592] usb 2-4: USB disconnect, address 9
[106864.751160] eth1: unregister 'rndis_host' usb-0000:00:13.0-4, RNDIS device
[107790.920042] usb 2-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 10
[107791.156353] usb 2-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[107791.251169] rndis_host 2-4:1.0: RNDIS_MSG_QUERY(0x00010202) failed, -47
[107791.260617] eth1: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:13.0-4, RNDIS device, 80:00:60:0f:e8:00
[107801.750023] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

Tried using gMobileMedia but it cant find the phone on /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 (tried all other connections as well but it still can't find the phone). The phone chsrges when connected and starts ActiveSync so I don't think there's a problem on the phone side.

What should I try?

Mononoke

Thanks, gotten a lot further than I was last night...synCE seems to be the way to go! I've got my files showing on the terminal using synce-pls...now to try to get nautilus to recognise synce:/// I need synce-gvfs... added deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/synce/ubuntu karmic main to souces, did apt-get update, tried sudo apt-get install synce-gvfs but i get "E: Couldn't find package synce-gvfs"

someone at http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308188 added the jaunty ppa to sources and got synce-gvfs...but I have the same problem as #8 on that thread, requires public key *sigh*

Thanks :) Will get back to this later today....baby needs mummy!

evan79

Hi Monoke, i found trying to sync my phone with linux to be a big headache in the past, maybe its changed now but for me I now use Virtualbox with windows xp installed, if you have windows vista or 7 either should suffice, you will need legit windows key.

Literally takes 15 secs yo have windows up and running in virtualbox and then just install the phone suite software and your good to go with all the functions working.

If you have karmic installed and find you cant get usb device to be click-able in virtual/window, you need to add you username to virtualbox group, done through "user & groups", goto manage groups and then click your name in virtual box group, restart and then you should be able to use any usb device.

For me i found this easier and trying all the "work-arounds" which just didnt work. Any problem just pm me.

Last edited:

Mononoke

Hi evan79,

It is a bit frustrating getting it to work because I can't find some of the packages (managed to find synce-gvfs :D ), but I want to get it working so that when I plug it in I can just access the files immediately - I can now do with two or three days effort. When I've got it sync'd with Evolution it will be 100%!

I have XP on a virtualbox but I haven't touched windows since making the move to Ubuntu, learning a lot more and LOVING it :love:

Thanks though...once I've got the sync working I'll gladly try to help you get yours to sync with Ubuntu instead of windows if you'd prefer it (although I'm still new to all this) :erm:

K

kingrob

I agree with evan79, bit of a pain to get your phone to sync with Ubuntu.

Just tested my Motorola V3 Razr with Wammu and it picked it up first time, can do a few functions, like retrieve contacts, sync time with pc, but cant do much else.

Sun Virtualbox is the answer.

*Wonder how difficult it will be for Apple to release generic code for iTunes that I can sync my iPhone with Ubuntu. Now that would be cool!!

Last edited by a moderator:

milomak

Honorary Master
are you looking to sync or be able to see the files on your device. if the latter, it should be a simple case of browsing to your phone. if the latter, i haven't bothered trying to sync my TD

avi

Useful apps

To read/write files on my phone I use a handy little application called wm5torage, which makes your phone's memory or storage card appear as a USB flash disk, so you can access it in Linux or a Windows machine without ActiveSync. You can get it from http://freewareppc.com/communication/wm5torage.shtml (by the way - it works in WM6 despite saying its for WM5 )

Since I use GMail for my mail and contacts, I sync with Google Sync (m.google.com) which supports MS Exchange Protocol (so you can have direct push for your email, calendar and contacts)

So the combination of these allows me to enjoy my HTC Touch Pro 2 without having Windows on my PC :)

milomak

Honorary Master
I run Debian, Arch, Fedora and OpenSUSE. On all of them my phone is seen as a USB drive.

On all of them I am using KDE4.

Mononoke

are you looking to sync or be able to see the files on your device. if the latter, it should be a simple case of browsing to your phone. if the latter, i haven't bothered trying to sync my TD
Both. My phone's digitizer went a bit AWOL :wtf: did a full reset and lost all contacts etc. on the HTC :crying: managed to get my outlook.pst file from a backup I did of my XP system before killing it and imported it into Evolution :D now I need to sync to get the contacts back and to save contacts I've added from the HTC to PC :confused: I tried plugging in the phone initially and just tried to access it like a usb drive but it recognised it as RNDIS (i think) device :(

To read/write files on my phone I use a handy little application called wm5torage, which makes your phone's memory or storage card appear as a USB flash disk, so you can access it in Linux or a Windows machine without ActiveSync. You can get it from http://freewareppc.com/communication/wm5torage.shtml (by the way - it works in WM6 despite saying its for WM5 )

Since I use GMail for my mail and contacts, I sync with Google Sync (m.google.com) which supports MS Exchange Protocol (so you can have direct push for your email, calendar and contacts)

So the combination of these allows me to enjoy my HTC Touch Pro 2 without having Windows on my PC :)
After installing synCE (and hunting down and installing synce-gvfs), my phone is recognised as soon as I plug it in and a little PDA icon appears on my desktop. I double-click and it opens the phone's filesystem up in nautilus (exactly like a USB) would work. Thank you though, if I hadn't managed to find the elusive synce-gvfs, I would probably have gone this route ;)

I run Debian, Arch, Fedora and OpenSUSE. On all of them my phone is seen as a USB drive.

On all of them I am using KDE4.
You don't find the need to sync :erm: how do you backup your TD?