Kirin 980 vs Snapdragon 845

newby_investor

Expert Member
Huawei has been known to exaggerate its scores on benchmarks.

It may be an incremental improvement but I doubt it'll be blowing anything out of the water.

Tcyte

Huawei has been known to exaggerate its scores on benchmarks.

It may be an incremental improvement but I doubt it'll be blowing anything out of the water.
But on paper the kirin 980 is way ahead.. Maybe because it's more recent

sajunky

Honorary Master
It is way ahead, but when new benchmarks are released during a time, it will remain on paper..

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Talk about the AI capabilities of the kirin
What exactly uses NPU? Like Nvidia Ray Tracing, big data,AI and IoT, it sounds nice but doesn't really do much in 2018.

Also how did it go with Huawei's overclocking of their SoCs when AnTuTu was being run? Did they fix those rigged benchmarks?

Tcyte

What exactly uses NPU? Like Nvidia Ray Tracing, big data,AI and IoT, it sounds nice but doesn't really do much in 2018.

Also how did it go with Huawei's overclocking of their SoCs when AnTuTu was being run? Did they fix those rigged benchmarks?
Huawei has had a fair share of controversy... But I really want to see their first device on kirin 980.... Like I said on paper... It really looks promising

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I highly doubt the Kirin 980 can compete with the Snapdragon 845.
Huawei has previously cheated in benchmarks, and I bet the comparison score is the same. The P20 Pro scored 2966.33 with their cheating, while its actual score was 1681.33.

A lot of the benchmarks in gaming are titles using their Turbo tech, which is known to use actually take shortcuts which lead to visible quality degradation.

Then the fact that Huawei's next flagship will compete with flagships that have the 855, which will also be on 7nm, so that should have large gains as well.
Overall, I wouldn't really care tbh, CPUs on phones are more than fast enough for what you're doing, if you're not noticing lag and don't really game on your phone, then it doesn't matter.

I'll start caring when we can finally hook up our phones to screens to use as a truly portable device, e.g. being able to properly scale and run all my apps, which is what Android is moving to, e.g. Samsung's Dex pad.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Many benchmarks are doctored, tailored to the specific CPU architecture, it is a legacy of this industry. Please do not understand me wrong, it is not being doctored by a developer (not always), but those who bring new compilers to the market or just new software libraries.

If you didn't know about yet, I must say that with every major architecture changing of Intel CPU's, developers were rushing to recompile their benchmark programs using new software tools from Intel. In result new CPU looked more sweet in benchmarks comparing to the previous generation. It is how monopolies fight to keep on top against smaller players.

Last edited:

Tcyte

But the kirin is the world's first 7NM with a 1.4Gps Cat 21 modem... something to think about