Kitchen light - high pitch frequency noise

ronald911

Expert Member
Recently got solar + inverter installed. First night I noticed our kitchen light have this super high pitch noise coming from it, that's bound to give me a headache if I'm there for too long.

Only me and my brother (both mid 20s) can hear it, the electrician + my parents think we have lost it & gone crazy.

Went to replace the fluorescent tubes with LED tubes + got starters. Works fine, looks great, much sharper than fluorescent, but noise still there, so I think it's coming from the main unit.

Anyone else ever had this and perhaps solved it without getting a completely new setup?

Cheers!

Snyper564

Executive Member
Recently got solar + inverter installed. First night I noticed our kitchen light have this super high pitch noise coming from it, that's bound to give me a headache if I'm there for too long.

Only me and my brother (both mid 20s) can hear it, the electrician + my parents think we have lost it & gone crazy.

Went to replace the fluorescent tubes with LED tubes + got starters. Works fine, looks great, much sharper than fluorescent, but noise still there, so I think it's coming from the main unit.

Anyone else ever had this and perhaps solved it without getting a completely new setup?

Cheers!
There are certain frequencies you cant hear when you get older we used to use them as ringtones back at uni so lecturers typically didnt hear :) Oh dogs will def hear them as well

Tim_vb

make sure you strip out the old starters in the light fitting

ronald911

Expert Member
This is the inverter.

1602844091826.png

I honestly don't have a clue where to start looking for the frequency etc.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
I had a similar issue. High pitched noise that never made sense to me coming from the kitchen. I switched all the bulbs and even bought a new fridge. Problem persisted. Turns out it was the ex bitching an moaning. Replaced her and all is well.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What's the inverter model number?

LED tubes should not require starters at all.

wetkit

Expert Member
I would understand if it was an elcheopo inverter, but this one looks ok.
Do you perhaps have downlighters? Sometimes the old transformers can do a sing and dance.
Do you still hear it if the inverter is on bypass?
How far away is the inverter mounted from the kitchen? It could also be switching noise from the inverter?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What's the inverter model number?

LED tubes should not require starters at all.

LED tubes based on Retro-Fit design can typically be installed in place of former fluorescent tubes in compatible luminaires as they are, with consideration of manufacturer and lamp-specific restrictions. Some models are only compatible with magnetic ballasts, but models that can be installed in any old fluorescent tube luminaire are also available on the market. In some Retro-Fit LED tubes, a special LED starter is used in place of the fluorescent lamp starter. Re-introduction of fluorescent lamps is still possible merely by lamp and starter replacement. If used in luminaires equipped with compensation capacitors, LED tubes often generate a lot of reactive power. Most LED tubes based on Retro-Fit design are manufactured according to the LED tube standard EN62776.

You will find LED tubes for replacing florescent tubes that come with a "starter", so plug and play, no rewiring required.

I have seen the Osram ones with the starter included at Checkers Hyper and Builders Warehouse (R70 for the 1,2m I think), and fitted 2 to replace the kitchens fading flourecent tube... much wow, such light!

Sinbad

Honorary Master

You will find LED tubes for replacing florescent tubes that come with a "starter", so plug and play, no rewiring required.

I have seen the Osram ones with the starter included at Checkers Hyper and Builders Warehouse (R70 for the 1,2m I think), and fitted 2 to replace the kitchens fading flourecent tube... much wow, such light!
I just rewired my luminaires to take the tubes directly.

grok

Honorary Master
What you're experiencing is not necessarily a solar issue, I installed led lights in the kitchen a week or two ago, on Eskom power & have the same thing.

Google says its due to the led drivers, or something. It seems to diminish over time, or I'm getting used to it or whatever, but I haven't had the strength to climb back on the ladder to sort it out.

Last edited:

ronald911

Expert Member
update.. i removed the lightbulbs and the starters, then switched on the light switch - the frequency sound is still there and it sounds like it's coming from, what I believe is the ballast. (Correct me if I'm wrong - my electrician terminology is non-existent)

Last edited:

Tim_vb

Yeap, they are out, replaced with new ones... but yeah, as above, perhaps something to do with the sine wave inverter.

Hmm not just a starter but also take out the ballast, LED tubes work best when they go straight into 220v. Its unlikely the LEDs are making the noise

supersunbird

Honorary Master
update.. i removed the lightbulbs and the starters, then switched on the light switch - the frequency sound is still there and it sounds like it's coming from, what I believe is the transformer. (Correct me if I'm wrong - my electrician terminology is non-existent)
You mean the ballast?

1602851897551.png