Kitchen light - high pitch frequency noise

ronald911

Expert Member
Hmm not just a starter but also take out the ballast, LED tubes work best when they go straight into 220v. Its unlikely the LEDs are making the noise

Think replacing the ballast to one with a different voltage solve it?

ronald911

Expert Member
Take photo of inside fitting for us

1602856649688.png

By the sound of things, I think the noise is coming from that black box.

Note, it makes that noise, with (both Fluorescent and LED) and without bulbs... It didn't make that noise prior to installation of the new inverter.

Last edited:

craigcul

Yes it is most probably the ballast causing the noise most inverters do not give a pure sine wave but closer to a square wave this can even cause some transformer and ballasts to heat up, maybe find out where you purchased the led tubes if they have a diagram how the tubes can be wireed directly without the ballast.

ronald911

Expert Member
View attachment 934024

By the sound of things, I think the noise is coming from that black box.

Note, it makes that noise, with (both Fluorescent and LED) and without bulbs... It didn't make that noise prior to installation of the new inverter.

Btw, is the white part the ballast and the black part the capacitor?

D tj

Expert Member
I am a bit hesitant to comment,as there may be other stuff available, I'm in CT; however I have converted a number of old Fl tube setups to run Led tubes of different makes: Osram and others.
In all cases the fitting was gutted of all its old parts including the starter, (the +- 20mm Dia x 35 mm long starter).

TheTubes were supplied with the tubes' fuse (looks like a starter) was put in where the starter was. The supplier told me this and warning stickers came with to say Led tubes only....to be stuck on the modified to Led fittings.

Led (Fl style ) tube fittings have nothing inside just wires and a connector block.