Kombucha Brewing

Mars

Honorary Master
Anyone brewing their own Kobucha? So we have been enjoying Kombucha over the last little bit, so I have decided to start brewing my own.
It can't be harder than beer right?
So the process seems simple. Make sweet black or green tea, add the alive part as either live Kombucha or a scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) and leave it for 7 to 10 days. Then you add flavours and bottle it and it should carbonate on its own after about a week.

I am trying two ways to start: I have bought a bottle of live Kombucha (so it says) and I will try and grow a scoby from that, from what I have read it should take about 10 days.
Since I'm a bit sceptical that the kombucha I have bought is live, I have found a lady in Sea Point that will sell me a scoby.

Matt91

Expert Member
Wanted to try it but have never seen it anywhere. Also want to try Matcha Tea or Kimchi at some point. Food trends that never made it to SA. :(

Snyper564

Executive Member
Anyone brewing their own Kobucha? So we have been enjoying Kombucha over the last little bit, so I have decided to start brewing my own.
It can't be harder than beer right?
So the process seems simple. Make sweet black or green tea, add the alive part as either live Kombucha or a scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) and leave it for 7 to 10 days. Then you add flavours and bottle it and it should carbonate on its own after about a week.

I am trying two ways to start: I have bought a bottle of live Kombucha (so it says) and I will try and grow a scoby from that, from what I have read it should take about 10 days.
Since I'm a bit sceptical that the kombucha I have bought is live, I have found a lady in Sea Point that will sell me a scoby.
Make my own, way easier than beer (which I do as well)

Super yummy takes about 2 weeks 1 week primary 1 week secondary (bottle conditioning). Just need that scooby which brew stores sell or get a friend that brews as you get a new one every batch.

It will slow down in winter, not all kombucha is equal. I have had ww kombucha super yummy not sure if live or if dischems is either that is horrible though, do not try dischems one they stock if you want to see if you like it. Homemade is awesome you just add fruitjuice for secondary fermentation and the flavors are endless then.

Mars

Honorary Master
Wanted to try it but have never seen it anywhere. Also want to try Matcha Tea or Kimchi at some point. Food trends that never made it to SA. :(
Ive made sauerkraut a couple of times, and Ive heard Kimchi is a similar process so it can't be hard. I tatsed it once, wasn't amazing tbh.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Ive made sauerkraut a couple of times, and Ive heard Kimchi is a similar process so it can't be hard. I tatsed it once, wasn't amazing tbh.
I made sauerkraut too, another yummy fermented food

Thor

Honorary Master
If you are in Bellville, I have a few scobies you can take.

I am going to throw it away today, just do not have time to make it anymore, I just buy it.

So I have perfectly good scobies and started liquid from me previous batch.

Mars

Honorary Master
If you are in Bellville, I have a few scobies you can take.

I am going to throw it away today, just do not have time to make it anymore, I just buy it.

So I have perfectly good scobies and started liquid from me previous batch.

I'm in Tableview, but I can take a drive.

Thor

Honorary Master
I'm in Tableview, but I can take a drive.
Boom boom, should I pm you?

Just make sure you have green tea (you cannot use rooibos)

First fermentation = greentea + sugar
Second fermentation = rooibos concentrate
Profit.

Mars

Honorary Master
Boom boom, should I pm you?

Just make sure you have green tea (you cannot use rooibos)

First fermentation = greentea + sugar
Second fermentation = rooibos concentrate
Profit.
Yes please pm me.

I have green tea. Super excited!

Snyper564

Executive Member
Just FYI there are low levels of alchohol in kombucha and the homemade versions can clock 0.5%-2%