LAN printer not showing on the network :(

Gomario

Banned
Hello everyone. How on Earth can I get my new HP color laser to show on my local network? It must be connected 100% because it actually does show with some funny string/letters name. Further, if I put its IP address in the browsers on any of the other networked pc's, it opens the printer's control and command page. I can browse on there, change settings, etc. and ask the printer to even print a test page. But how can I tell it to print my stuff? Furthermore, because the network does not see the printer as such, I can't install the drivers/programs from the cd it come with. It does begin the installation but stops when it does not find the printer. Any ideas?

NetSpike

Do you have a firewall? Turn it off and run the setup again.

Alternatively you could use the Windows Add Printer Wizard to add a TCP/IP printer: go to Start > Control Panel and double click Printers and Faxes. Click the Add a printer link/icon.
- On the wizard's welcome page, click the Next button.
- Select Local printer attached to this computer, but DO NOT select to automatically detect the printer.
- Click Create new port radio button.
- Select Standard TCP/IP printer port from the drop down list.
- Click Next
- Another wizard will open up to create a TCP/IP Printer Port.
- In Printer Name or IP address field, enter the IP address of your network printer.
- Click Next
- (I can't check what comes next in the wizard, but just follow the steps. You'll be asked for what type of adapter the printer uses - just use the generic one. Also have your driver CD handy as you'll have to click the Have Disk button and browse to the .inf files on the CD)

Hope this helps.

pezulu

Expert Member
Probably a stupid question, but where do I get the IP address of my printer?

NetSpike

If you have a DHCP server, you can go search for it there.

Most printers with LCD screens have an option like "Device Info", where you can find the IP address and you can also set the IP address of the printer manually on the printer itself. Some printers may have a fixed out-of-the-box default IP address and that you'll find in the manual.

If you have a DHCP server, I would suggest setting up an IP reservation for your printer's MAC address, but all this information you'll find in your DHCP server's settings.

Last edited:

Gomario

Banned
Yes, that is how I got my IP address :D You are very clued up. Why must they make it so difficult in the first place? I will follow your advice this afternoon whe I get home. Tx.