Language skills are a "stronger" predictor of programming ability than math knowledge.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Want to learn to code? Put down the math book. Practice those communication skills instead.

Published online March 2 in Scientific Reports, an open-access journal from the Nature Publishing Group, the research examined the neurocognitive abilities of more than three dozen adults as they learned Python, a common programming language. Following a battery of tests to assess their executive function, language and math skills, participants completed a series of online lessons and quizzes in Python. Those who learned Python faster, and with greater accuracy, tended to have a mix of strong problem-solving and language abilities.
:unsure:;)

So what's SA's problem then? 11 official languages should according to this "research" imply that an overwhemingly large portion of the SA's population should excel at programming?

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
The language part is not the issue. It's the problem solving part that is. When Saffers were given the test, 22% pulled out a gun and shot the computer, 26% torched it, 18% asked for more money, 12% tried to bribe the examiner, 17% experienced a power cut, and the remaining 5% completed the test.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
The language part is not the issue. It's the problem solving part that is. When Saffers were given the test, 22% pulled out a gun and shot the computer, 26% torched it, 18% asked for more money, 12% tried to bribe the examiner, 17% experienced a power cut, and the remaining 5% completed the test.
Damn.... who would thought that dragging a tyre over to the computer, dousing it in petrol and setting it ablaze would not fix all problems.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Logical problems can be both mathematical and linguistical in nature. Logic acumen is what determines coding ability, whether its interpreted mathematically or linguistically is about understanding the problem prior to determining the course of action to solving a problem.

eg2505

Honorary Master
interesting theory I must say,
so even if your terrible at Maths, all hope isnt lost for you.

cguy

Executive Member
Seems like a very nebulous experiment to me. I don't know what they mean by "maths"/"numeracy". It could be as simple as in your head addition, given that the coding tests was as a few simple questions, and an implementation of rock-paper-scissors. It's probably more than likely that those who understand language (was it grammar, comprehension?) better were simply able to understand the material given to them better, as well as the instructions better. The same people would probably also be better at (actual) maths, and being able to code at this level isn't really a strong indicator of real-world coding, especially given the plethora of diverse types of coding.

EDIT: Their numeracy test is mostly probabilistic/quantitative reasoning. Better than some out of a hat testing, but it really isn’t maths either, and is highly sensitive to level of education.

Last edited:

me_

Thread title is misleading - according to the article (and the article's headline), language skills assist the learning rate, not necessarily the ability.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Well you have to learn the language first before you can solve problems in it.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Thread title is misleading - according to the article (and the article's headline), language skills assist the learning rate, not necessarily the ability.
The title is their choice of conclusion not mine; taken from text under the Image.
Language skills are a stronger predictor of programming ability than math knowledge, according to a new University of Washington study. Here, study co-author Malayka Mottarella demonstrates coding in Python while wearing a specialized headset that measures electrical activity in the brain. Credit: Justin Abernethy/U. of Washington

Milano

Honorary Master
Depends. The vast majority of professional coders could not write a bulletproof AirBnB booking system. Mind you AirBnB cannot either.

John_Phoenix

Depends. The vast majority of professional coders could not write a bulletproof AirBnB booking system. Mind you AirBnB cannot either.
It's the damn "add-ons". A booking system is easy to grok. Yes a feature complete one would take skill and foresight to deliver.

But then marketing, the C level employees or wives/husbands pull in with their "suggestions"

It seems for all our hard work and lifetime of study, we are not granted the same privilege as mechanics, engineers or doctors.

But hey, I chose Ui/Ux :X3:

Arthur

Honorary Master
I agree with this insight. It's all about the ability to articulate. Inability to articulate in mothertongue is an indicator of inability to internally grasp issues and formulate solutions.

TheRealRaspeggi

wow. 5 stereotypes in one post. That is the type of narrow-mindedness that would have made the national party proud. You are a disgrace to your race, don't worry, I'm a disgrace to several.
It seems for all our hard work and lifetime of study, we are not granted the same privilege as mechanics, engineers or doctors.
i have to deal with a lot less people than doctors and i don't know how much privilege a mechanic has.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
wow. 5 stereotypes in one post. That is the type of narrow-mindedness that would have made the national party proud. You are a disgrace to your race, don't worry, I'm a disgrace to several.

i have to deal with a lot less people than doctors and i don't know how much privilege a mechanic has.
Is it a stereotype if you only typed with one hand? That's the real question.

In any case, that post was a test in itself. Add up the percentages, ;) what do you get?