Laptop HDD started "chirping" loudly

kilobits

Executive Member
Hey Hey

I have a friend whose Compaq laptop has starting chirping and "singing" loudly. Little very loud high pitched noises whenever the HDD is being accessed. Incredibly loud and slow at startup, but then gets quieter and eventually the laptop becomes responsive and usable.

Impending failure ?

I have suggested imaging the drive now ASAP and he will be dropping it off later today.

Any ideas from the boffs here ?

Last edited:

kilobits

Executive Member
You blokes are "snaaks" indeed ! :D

Here.. this is the sound it makes when booting... it sits on the Windows 7 "flying" windows thing and makes this sound for around 5 minutes...

http://www.techclean.co.za/v2/images/MyBB/annoyed_bird.mp3

Once the chirping stops, windows loads again... grrrr. I have not been able to image the drive as it reaches 20%, the chirping starts and everything times out and bombs.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
You blokes are "snaaks" indeed ! :D

Here.. this is the sound it makes when booting... it sits on the Windows 7 "flying" windows thing and makes this sound for around 5 minutes...

http://www.techclean.co.za/v2/images/MyBB/annoyed_bird.mp3

Once the chirping stops, windows loads again... grrrr. I have not been able to image the drive as it reaches 20%, the chirping starts and everything times out and bombs.
Morse code. Hide, the Russians are invading :D

Never heard anything like that before in my life, really weird. Sound a bit like a metallic scraping sound.

What you using to image with?

kilobits

Executive Member
Ye Dogs! i have just popped in another 160GB hard drive... an Hitachi that I know is hundreds... and it now is making the same noises during a Windows 7 install !!!

This Compaq be possessed !!!

EDIT: Never mind....

Aaaagh! Dammned Tablet ... false alarm... the bloody tablet just played the sound I ftp'd earlier. Phew... shjoe and yoh... :eek: :p

Last edited:

bekdik

Honorary Master
It sounds like an antistatic bush which rubs on the end of the bearing. It will eventually grind the brass bush down and the noise will go away.

Apart from the noise it should work just fine.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Ye Dogs! i have just popped in another 160GB hard drive... an Hitachi that I know is hundreds... and it now is making the same noises during a Windows 7 install !!!

This Compaq be possessed !!!
Then it's most like the cpu fan. Clean the dust out.

kilobits

Executive Member
I have the offending Seagate drive in an external enclosure on another machine... it is definitely the drive, the same single bird dawn chorus / Morse code sounds... just louder now.

In case you missed my earlier edit... the sound I heard with the new drive in the laptop was the recording playing back on my tablet... for some reason it decided it needed to play the sound I ftp'd earlier as Windows logo began to fly onto screen... weird timing and a relieved chuckle.

ponder

Honorary Master
In case you missed my earlier edit... the sound I heard with the new drive in the laptop was the recording playing back on my tablet... for some reason it decided it needed to play the sound I ftp'd earlier as Windows logo began to fly onto screen... weird timing and a relieved chuckle.
What are we to do with you kilo, eish! :D

SouthBit

Dealer
Disk media (platter surface) has degraded in the area of the files the machine loads when booting up. See it occasionally with Seagates, that noise in particular.

Get everything off it and wait for it to die.

kilobits

Executive Member
Disk media (platter surface) has degraded in the area of the files the machine loads when booting up. See it occasionally with Seagates, that noise in particular.

Get everything off it and wait for it to die.
Hi disk Guru!

It sounds dire and I have done just that... everything imaged, replacement drive installed for now, SSD on order.

Seagate drive still warbling in external enclosure in the next room... formatting.
Sounds like a trainwreck in slow motion!

SouthBit

Dealer
If you didn't do your 67 minutes for Mandabi last week, you could do a good deed and donate it for parts ;)

SouthBit

Dealer
Serial Number
Seagate Part Number
Warranty Status
(*see details below) Options
(*see details below)
5VC8HBAJ 9HH13C-022 Component
(*see details below) Contact Place of Purchase

*Warranty Status & *Options
Component
The product you identified was sold as a system component. Please contact your place of purchase for service. Seagate sells many drives to direct OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. These products are usually configured for the OEMs only, as components for their systems. You must contact your place of purchase for any warranty support on these drives.
If you purchased this unit directly from Seagate, please return to the previous page and verify your Seagate customer number, because the customer number you entered ( ) does not match our records.