Leapfrog LeapPad

kamnandi

Molweni

I want to buy my 5year old son the Leapad but I am not sure if it is any good and the staff at toy shops don't know much about it?

If you bought one please lemme know what you think of it?

GreyBush

Executive Member
I know someone who bought one, the kids love it but the apps are really expensive.

That is the limit of my knowledge on LeapPads.

badtrev

My father in law bought one for my son who is six. He loves the thing, but the apps are pricey. The cheapest app on their store is $5. But the decent apps are around $10 each. I bought the download card from Take 2 for R172 with $20 credit.

Physical games cost between R190 and R240 depending on where you buy from.

It also has a camera and a video recorder so it stops him from trying to take pictures with my phone.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Besides loot.co.za, are there any other retailers or suppliers for the Leapad?
Friend is looking for one for his daughter.
Though the drawback may be the cost of the apps...

EDIT: ok, just seen that loot's supplier is out of stock.
So if anyone does know where to get hold of this, please drop a line in here or PM.

Yuu

Executive Member
Try TakeALOT :)

Sad about the app pricing though :/

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Try TakeALOT :)

Sad about the app pricing though :/

Cool ty. They have stock to collect in CPT too it seems :)
Yeah - I don't want to recommend this gadget and then she only plays with the four apps included.
Ag, I dunno.
Will research this a bit more too.

bdt

Executive Member
Back in the holiday/[-]public gouging[/-] gift-buying season Look n Listen was advertising them. And as to the (perceived) cost of the apps, surely you're saving on the cost of the other [-]crap[/-] essential advancement necessities :rolleyes: you're not buying?

Vercogen

Expert Member
Hi guys also looking to buy one for my kids for Christmas.

Anyone bought one of these lately, any thoughts?

logank

I have the leapster for my 6 year old and she loves it. Apps are expensive, considering buying a cheap android tablet instead of buying more games it.

Joe_M

Esquire have a Geeko Tablet for kids I think around R1k inclusive of vat – this make more sense than the Leapfrog LeapPad as the apps are too expensive -Considering to get one for my GF’s younger brother who is 12 years old so he can stop playing with my iPad.:D

wishblade

Perhaps a little different feedback from my side: the wife's 7 year old got one for here birthday earlier in the year. She used it for about a month, and then its been sitting in a cupboard since. She's back to using the tablet. It could be a worthwhile investment, just like with any other piece of hardware, its the software that can run on it that draws the crowds. So think of it as a tablet:
if you are going to get one, you'll want to constantly load new apps etc on the thing, to stave off the boredom (and a couple of the apps that look appealing have very limited replay ability). The same as your tablet/pc/whatever. So take it that once you buy it, the price of the apps is going to have a huge impact on its continued use.

In all honesty, in my case, I would have rather have spent a grand on a cheap tablet, and bought and loaded educational software. That way, as they grow out of the software, the device can still be useful for other forms of software (note taking, video taking, or whatever the child develops into).

Mier

Expert Member
Hi guys also looking to buy one for my kids for Christmas.

Anyone bought one of these lately, any thoughts?

Bought the Leapad2 for my 5 year old daughter for xmas, so will see how she likes it. Best place to buy is Makro - you get the pad + rechargeable batteries + a carry case + avg anti virus for a pc :)wtf:) for R1299

isie

Honorary Master
I have the leapster for my 6 year old and she loves it. Apps are expensive, considering buying a cheap android tablet instead of buying more games it.

I was going to buy my daughter a leap pad after she was playing with on at last years RAGe expo, she really liked it so i figured the next month ill get her one any way I had an android tablet that she started playing with, then when i took her to buy her the leap pad she tested it again and she said the android tab was better, and said rather not buy her the leap pad (sweet kid :D) So i just let her use my tab, saved up a bit more and got her a 3DS since figured she prefers more advanced stuff
though i recently saw they have a cheapish android tab at musica for about 1K, think i will get it for her

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
so it this worth it for the price ?

better to get a tablet or this ?

seeing a tablet isnt as protected as these leap pads

isie

Honorary Master
so it this worth it for the price ?

better to get a tablet or this ?

seeing a tablet isnt as protected as these leap pads

still think a tablet is better (even el cheapo ones) , you even get those rubberized kid covers for tablets now days.

Jake45

Expert Member
The cheap tablets are really useful. I have bought both the Vodacom Smart Tab 2 7" tablet (WiFi and 3G) as well as the Lenovo Tab 3 Essential 7" (WiFi only) and have been pretty happy with both of them. I paid R750 for the ST2 at PnP and R829 for the T3E on a Daily Deal from Takealot. Unfortunately the prices of all of the Lenovo tablets has just increased on Takealot but they might drop again. The Lenovo tablets have better quality screens, support flash drives via OTG as well as Miracast but currently cost quite a bit more than the ST2. Hopefully there will be a few Black Friday/Christmas specials on these devices as I am now kicking myself that I didn't purchase the 3G/16GB Lenovo Tab 3 for R1199 when it was on a Daily Deal a week ago.