Learning Linux

newby_investor

Yeah true.

But even to this day I find myself learning useful things, thinking "where have you been all my life?"
But it's always been there, I just didn't know what to look for.

In the spirit of open source, I should probably compile a course! :sneaky:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Rather than wasting time & money trying to find the right courses etc etc, rather just jump right in and google / ask people every time you get stuck. Odds are, you'll figure the important things out quicker when you're actually doing stuff on it than following a 60 hour course.

You have nothing to lose this way. :)
This.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
You never get to learn LINUX! Torvalds and his pet penguin are gonna own yer arse from now on..... :ROFL:

ekske1

Expert Member
Hey knowledgeable folk. I'd like to teach myself Linux and I see there are some courses available on Udemy. Would you guys recommend any of them for learning Linux or is there another way to go about it (that doesn't involve full time classes at some institution)?
Just setup a distro and start using it for something while learning the ropes.

I would however start out with an "easier distro" (www.distrowatch.com) instead of going with arch linux / bsd and so on.

Perhaps mint or ubuntu which is pretty much the ones I used getting off the ground moving into other more interesting areas of *nix. Just don't all of that at once and stick to a distro while learning.

Make sure you include termal time instead of just relaying on click-to-dos understanding what you are actually doing.

My first time using Linux I was using Ubuntu 14 I was so lost, later I got Mint which find it friendly for windows user, now I'm using Google to learn the terminal commands so I look like a hacker to my friends

ronald911

Expert Member
My first time using Linux I was using Ubuntu 14 I was so lost, later I got Mint which find it friendly for windows user, now I'm using Google to learn the terminal commands so I look like a hacker to my friends
Boss

Once you get the hang of the terminal commands you'll realise how efficient it is when getting things done.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It sounds cliche and ridiculous when you first start out and hear it from people but once you crack it then you'll agree....but the only way to learn is by doing.

Throw away your current OS and make the switch...force yourself to make **** work the way you expect them to and you'll learn in the process.

The courses all tend to focus on the wrong things and becoming an administrator generally and don't really help with learning the day to day workings, which you'll learn much more quickly by simply making the switch and struggling a little bit.

EdX has this course which seems to be a good start for the basics.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-linux

But can I ask what is your end goal? That does change the approach a little bit.

kolaval

Expert Member
Unless you're trying for a server admin don't bother much.

Linux as a daily driver desktop OS sucks.
It solves no problem.

newby_investor

I very much like Linux on the desktop. It meets all my needs.

Windows and I divorced a long time ago, so it wasn't Win10 which caused me to move over.

Düber

I use Mint for everything I used to use windows for, only have Windows 10 for gaming and find it frustrating and sluggish (although to be fair my pc is rather old).
As for learning I jumped in on the deep end of linux with Orange/Raspberry pi's and found the how too's and online courses of very little help. Google and choice words aimed at the terminal got things working for me.