Let the live streaming games begin

seted

1. There is no such thing as a "civil crime".

2. I have not read the ECT Act, and I can guarantee you that most prosecutors haven't either.

3. Even if they decide to prosecute in terms of that Act, it will be almost impossible to prove. While you can prove that a person is paying for a vpn or geo-blocking service, it would be extremely difficult to prove the manner in which it is used.

4. Prosecutors and Magistrate's have bigger concerns. If this conduct was not considered as de minimus at least, it would involve a fine of a couple thousand at most, and might even be settled by ADR.

Vegeta

Executive Member
This type of control is not sustainable. You pay the content provider and you get to enjoy the content. UNLESS!!!! "You cross that them theree border ya hear? Boy i'm talkin to ya, don't dare cross them there border neaow!"

How silly is this, couple of weeks ago I visited the US. I logged into my Netflix account which I pay for and I watched my shows legally during my stay. Next day I got on the plane when I landed I watched the same show but this time it was illegal. How dare I cross that border!??

True story. What world do we live in where legislation protects a practice like this and calls me a criminal?

Another good example, while I was in the US I rented a movie on the playstore, that night I enjoyed the movie but was interrupted about an hour into the movie. The next day after getting off the plane I watch the last 40mins or so of that movie. Technically I watched 1hour legally and 40mins illegally all while being a paying customer... what a disgusting human being!

If I had watched the whole thing twice I would have watched it both legally and illegally. Sies!

Last edited:

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
DIE REGION LOCKING DIE!

Paying the content provider is not illegal.

IrishHare

The Internet knows no borders. Its the lawyers and legislators who are still locked in a 19th century time warp...

It's a good reason to stick to torrenting - as 400 or 500 million do. Illegal? Maybe, but look at the seeders on a typical torrent and one is "sharing" with people from 20 or 30 different countries - or 2. That's borderless. The other day on an obscure old BBC drama, the only two seeders available were from Poland and Spain. Amazing, and how the Internet should really be working. Break the chains and fly...

PS: It's technically quite possible to make torrents a paying distribution medium, and torrenters are willing to pay. Just make it possible instead of erecting ridiculous artificial barriers which are so easy to get around they may as well not exist.

arcanum7

Is this whole 'legal' issue a scare tactic by ShowMax to try and dissuade users to use/continue using Netflix? I am very happy using Netflix and the setup took me about 40 minutes and I am not a tech expert. Far superior content and quality to anything on ShowMax. I downgraded my DSTV package to the lowest package that offers Kyknet.

Last edited:

mister

Executive Member
This type of control is not sustainable. You pay the content provider and you get to enjoy the content. UNLESS!!!! "You cross that them theree border ya hear? Boy i'm talkin to ya, don't dare cross them there border neaow!"

And don't you dare let your interwebs carrying wifi cross that street! don't you dare!

agel

YCGFY tyvm

Take my Netflix away and I'll resort to YouTube or Torrents; SA offering is too little, too late. I'm normally a 'local is lekker' person but in this case, DSTV, GTFO.

At the end of the day, nobody can stop anybody if they want it badly enough #Can'tStopTheSignal

Last edited:

kianm

Honorary Master
I like tech, gone are the days when the bad guys always got their way. We will watch what we what using whatever method we want whenever we want

Pitbull

Verboten
They just had to add this bit....

Are you a streaming cybercriminal?

Even the arrival of a local version of streaming heavyweight Netflix may not be enough to stop consumers using technology that allows them to access the international versions of these platforms, says Nicholas Hall, an associate at law firm Michalsons.

“In a lot of jurisdictions where Netflix is available, consumers are still using [virtual private networks] and other methods to get access to the service’s United States content because the regional offering is not deemed as good by viewers,” Hall said.

But using technology to get around Netflix’s geo-blocking is not legal, he said. Geo-blocking is used to restrict the content a user can access based on their geographical location. Bypassing geo-blocking breaches Netflix’s terms of service, he said. It is also potentially a criminal offence under the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act. The Act lists a number of cybercrimes, including bypassing security measures meant to protect information. Using software to divert geo-blocking, which is arguably a security measure, could be viewed as a civil crime, Hall said. This has not been tested in South Africa’s courts, however.

Although many South Africans pay Netflix for the content, this can still be deemed copyright infringement, argued Hall. He said when a studio licences content to the likes of Netflix, part of the agreement covers the regions in which the material can be released.

Consuming such material in another region without authorisation from the licence-holder may infringe on copyright. – Lynley Donnelly

grok

Honorary Master
Content and cost will determine the success of video-on-demand, which is coming of age in SA.

This is rule #1!

“In a lot of jurisdictions where Netflix is available, consumers are still using [virtual private networks] and other methods to get access to the service’s United States content because the regional offering is not deemed as good by viewers,” Hall said.

Want to know why? Or why piracy is a problem? See rule #1!