Lets nominate RPM for ICASA

robmugaap

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
139
Reaction score
1
Hi Folks

I saw in today's The Star that ICASA needs to fill 5 vacancies on the council and that they will start looking for candidates within two weeks (p.3 of The Star hard copy).

A similar article in the Pretoria News is here .

I propose that we nominate RPM as councillor on ICASA. We should draw up a good proposal and motivation to that effect. IMO we have a strong case and a good prospect for success in getting a councillor onto the ICASA board.

What do you say?

Regards
 
Last edited:
Don't think that will ever happen. If it was possible, then Telkom would have been gone a long time ago. Alot of people's interests (in government) would be threatend.
 
Still worthwile to try, and besides that, it is a good project on its own for other purposes such as publicity.

But don't be surprised if we are indeed successful. Reasons why we might be successful include: ICASA needs to show that they have a strong connection with the user base of telecoms. They also need to comply with racial quotas so they need at least one with RPM's complexion on the council ;) . Broadband is a current burning issue and MyADSL has developed a strong relationship with ICASA in the past year or two. There are also divisions within the govt itself, so not all may think the same wrt treatment of Telkom.

On the other hand, the publicity side will also make it worthwile as a project. Just imagine how furiously Telkom will oppose such a nomination!

Also, AcidRaZor - most likely it did not happen before because nobody ever tried...
 
Last edited:
I think it's a fantastic idea, provided he wants the post.

What about the Hellkom gent as well, 'MaD' isn't it?

The question is how do we go about it?
 
and what is that you have against rpm and MaD that you would want to inflict this on them?
 
dominic said:
and what is that you have against rpm and MaD that you would want to inflict this on them?

LOL. Yes they will suffer a lot, I agree, including handsome salaries :D . But I think it will be endurable.
 
Think of all the gravy, the free lunches, the donuts and somewhere to put your feet up and have a kip i nthe middle of the day while getting paid to do it!
 
Well then? Nominate him!
He'd definitely be the only true representative of the ADSL community!
I second the nomination....(just how does one nominate him?)
We sure as hell can ask MYADSL forumites to add their support.

Just do it, don't just talk about it!
 
I have my reasons to say this will not succeed:

1) They know who he is and they will do all they can to protect their slumber during the day, the much enjoyed doing f-all at work and still getting paid.

2) Telkom would throw a fit of earth-shattering proportions! They would probably hire a hit squad to take him out

3) He does not qualify under BEE/AA bullsh1t
 
doobiwan said:
I think it's a fantastic idea, provided he wants the post.

Unfortunately for RPM he has no say in this ;) . He will have to accept it if the people speaks! It will be like in the old days where the Roman army nominates their general as emperor - they nominate him with their spears pointed towrds him. Refusal may be dangerous :cool: .
 
We should nominate RPM, MaD and Debbie2.

No offense but Debbi2 got the best chance between all of them at getting the job being a woman it would be the most politically correct :D
 
shame :p- we are going have to sleep train rpm

no more getting up at dawn

(although that waistline gives every appearance of being well-disposed to donuts :D)
 
JTech said:
I have my reasons to say this will not succeed:

1) They know who he is and they will do all they can to protect their slumber during the day, the much enjoyed doing f-all at work and still getting paid.

2) Telkom would throw a fit of earth-shattering proportions! They would probably hire a hit squad to take him out

3) He does not qualify under BEE/AA bullsh1t

To the sceptics I repeat: Even if it is only for the publicity, lets do it anyway.
 
How about putting the question to the Man?

Well? What do u think , rpm?
 
DigitalSoldier said:
We should nominate RPM, MaD and Debbie2.

No offense but Debbi2 got the best chance between all of them at getting the job being a woman it would be the most politically correct :D

Maybe not a bad idea to nominate a number of people. When considering the applications of RPM and MaD, for example, they will possibly choose the least of two "evils" (in their view) and choose the more moderate RPM over the "radical" MaD to soothe Telkom's objections (no offense MaD, I am only talking tactics here).
 
That's certainly one of the better ideas I've seen in awhile. I agree. Let's do it. Even if it's just for the publicity spin-off
 
Tomasz-London said:
Well then? Nominate him!
He'd definitely be the only true representative of the ADSL community!
I second the nomination....(just how does one nominate him?)
We sure as hell can ask MYADSL forumites to add their support.

Just do it, don't just talk about it!

Hi Tomasz-London. I suppose they will have to advertise their intention of filling the positions in major newspapers. Hence we will have to be on the look-out.

In the meantime we may have to contact ICASA and enquire about the process. There are many people on the forum who dealt with ICASA before (wrt ICASA hearings etc.).

Who will volunteer to make the necessary enquiries?
 
Will RPM, MaD and Debbie be prepared to take the job?

It is a full time position for a few years, and I guess very well paid!

It is good time that knowledgeable members of the user side get their feet into the thick carpets at ICASA!
 
If RPM or MaD or Debbie get this then they will HAVE to take an oath with me that they will KICK Ivy's ass and get her to stop sleeping and do her job, if they do then I will support this initiative, it may have some positive effect, maybe not
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X