Let's talk Gatsbys

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Bought a chicken gatsby at Golden Dish the last time I was down in Cape Town (about 3 months back). Quality has definitely dropped big time.. and they skimping on the filling.. maybe 20 chips in total, and a thin layer of very saucy chicken.
i stay close to them but havnt had it in few years

akescpt

Honorary Master
Is it wrong to like polony on gatsby? The last gatsby I had was calamari, but if I was on the cheap I would settle for reconstituted sliced meat.
When I go back home that’s the only one I get. Nothing better. Polony and veg atchar. ****ing marvelous.

Magandroid

Expert Member
When I go back home that’s the only one I get. Nothing better. Polony and veg atchar. ****ing marvelous.
Apparently that was how the first original gatsby was made. Chip, polony and atchar and you can still get it from the fisheries in Athlone.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Apparently that was how the first original gatsby was made. Chip, polony and atchar and you can still get it from the fisheries in Athlone.
That’s what I’m referring to. Athlone fisheries though. Not supa fisheries.

rh1

In the 80's gatsby's was bought at fisheries around the cape flats. Originally only polony or vienna. In the 90's things got 'exotic" with boerwors/steak/chicken etc.
As kids we would buy a polony gatsby for R3.26 cut in four.

rh1

Golden Dish has been crap since early 2000's. I distinctly remember (being the designated driver and sober) the cockroaches one late Friday/early Saturday.

The rest of guys and other patrons did seem to notice. But that was the last GD saw of me.

Magandroid

Expert Member
In the 80's gatsby's was bought at fisheries around the cape flats. Originally only polony or vienna. In the 90's things got 'exotic" with boerwors/steak/chicken etc.
As kids we would buy a polony gatsby for R3.26 cut in four.
R3.26 for a whole Gatsby? Damn that's cheap.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Ahem behold a connoisseur.

So Continental in Observatory are quite good. We order every Friday in the office a few full dagwood or full house ones they call it. The special is R249 for two full gatsbys with a 2L cooldrink. That is with one steak and the other being chicken. The cheese and eggs make it really nice. The chips are properly cooked unlike the Sunrise.

We used to go to Sunrise in Mowbray but they don't deliver and they don't use a baguette but a mofo big roti as the bread. Also their filling and chips were sub par like half cooked so we had to switch. Since we found Continental we get between 2-4 full gatsbys every Friday so it isn't just my input but all my colleagues aswell who think so. Looking forward now to tomorrow. XD YEAAAAH BOIIIIIIIIII!

kolaval

Expert Member
Ag nee hel why did I open this thread!?
I still have to fast till 12 and even then where the hell would you get something like that in Heidelberg?

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Golden Dish has been crap since early 2000's. I distinctly remember (being the designated driver and sober) the cockroaches one late Friday/early Saturday.

The rest of guys and other patrons did seem to notice. But that was the last GD saw of me.
i had golden dish during the last 2000s , best stop after clubbing in the southern suburbs

never been back ever since ..and with all negative reviews i dont even want to try it

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Cosy Corner's Tandori Gatsby was a usual for me. I've not had a Gatsby since moving to the northern suburbs.

Last edited: