LG x110 Netbook with build in 3g

DblD

Got my self one of those 'toiny' netbook's.

Now I'm trying to figure what is best solution for using its build in 3G card for internet connection.

My situation is this...
* have MTN contract, with secondary sim card linked to my primary account
* netbook with build in 3g card, (think vodacom bundled software)
* med/light internet user (avg 300mb monthly usage no more than max 1gb)
** want best in/out of bundle price
** roll over preferably
** simple data bundle management (fixed bundled, prepaid don't mind .. but has to be simple)

10i

Expert Member
MTN data bundles roll over an additional 30 days now, so you can buy 1 GB of data.

I would use prepaid and load a bundle every second month, but that's just me.

Bigger bundle, means lower price per MB. You can load multiple bundles per month, if you need to as well :)

DblD

thanks 10i

What's really confusing with MTN is the terminology used "Data Bundle" and "Extended data"
Now I cant figure out what is what and which one to get for my scenario, or does it even matter. On top of that visit to the MTN service center added more to the confusion ... where one of the assistants informed me that "MTN does not do data bundles any longer"
Although he was a trainee and I really took his advise with hand full of salt, this entire process is not clearly explained anywhere on MTN site or their brochures..

How simple is this procedure of loading a data bundle ... from some posts it looks like fairly involved thing to do (taking SIM out, punching in service codes, voucher numbers in combination with additional service codes....)?

Last edited:

robass

If you are only going to use 1gig / month . Rather get the 2gb for R389 and let it roll to 60 days , it the costs you R194.50 per month for a gig that is .

Terencek

Expert Member
Note that Vodacom data bundles now also roll over, i.e. total validity 60 days not 30 -- as with MTN

DblD

Note that Vodacom data bundles now also roll over, i.e. total validity 60 days not 30 -- as with MTN

Is this 60 days from day of purchase or 60 days following the first 30 day period.

e.g.
=== 1
* 1st April one bought 1GB
* 1st May there is 500Mb left and
** its valid to be used for 60 days from 1st May

OR
=== 2
* 1st April one bought 1GB
* 1st May there is 500Mb left and
** its valid to be used for 30 more days from 1st May (calculated form day of purchase)

DblD

Well this link explains in detail Vodacom databundle carry over.

http://www.vodacom.co.za/services/vodacom_broadband/carryover.jsp

From how I'm interpreting this.. both MTN and vodacom carry over for additional 30 days following the end of the month in which bundle was purchased.

So both cases are same, only difference being that Vodacom uses a ply to call it 60 days (form day of purchse) which is mistaken for 60 days carry over.

And on top of that Vodacom has all kinds of funnies... like carry over is linked with calendar month... so
Example:

* Customer buys 500MB bundle on 15 April
* On 13 May customer has used 250MB and 250MB (500MB allocation - 250MB usage) is carried over until 31 May (18 days effective carry-over)

Last edited: