Lightning strikes

ACV

I am now on my 9th router in as many months due to lightning blasting it. My pole acts as a conductor and sparks fly out of the connections on top of pole and the line inside my house. Have spoken to telkom techs and they say the pole needs to be earthed - but they do nothing to fix the problem. Everyone else in the area has the same problem... But nothing gets done.... Now have to unplug every time I go out or if there is a slight rumble in the weather.
Live in a high storm area so my adsl is off more than on in summer months. Have tried power surge plugs but they get fried as well. Fibre is not going to happen in this area according to techs.
Please - any suggestions? Thank you.

GIGZ

I am now on my 9th router in as many months due to lightning blasting it. My pole acts as a conductor and sparks fly out of the connections on top of pole and the line inside my house. Have spoken to telkom techs and they say the pole needs to be earthed - but they do nothing to fix the problem. Everyone else in the area has the same problem... But nothing gets done.... Now have to unplug every time I go out or if there is a slight rumble in the weather.
Live in a high storm area so my adsl is off more than on in summer months. Have tried power surge plugs but they get fried as well. Fibre is not going to happen in this area according to techs.
I'd say go for LTE with External Antenna, but ... Ya.

Why wasn't anything earthed when it was installed?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I lived in an area like that years ago.
There is very little you can do, except to UNPLUG EVERYTHING when the weather comes up. There is no surge protector strong enough to save / protect any kind of equipment with that kind of scenario.
In my case I can tell you I still have pictures of the Telkom line running on my wall, with holes blown out of it and burn marks on my walls.