Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS)

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Nice one! Yeah I'm targeting mid-September. Not liking the official course though, not using it that much. Working through the objectives on my own, but it's actually not that bad, even for an MS admin.
Looking at the objectives I think it should be fairly easy for me (as i've got LPIC2 / RHCE / SUSE CLP and they're all a level above the LFCS cert). That being said I'm going to take it easy for a bit before I give it a go! Too many exams of late - tired now...

srothman

Expert Member
I got a deal on the course and the exam for $269-, so started going through that, but working through the Tecmint stuff, which I find to be a lot easier to follow. Then it's as much hand-on I can get.

I'm considering buying the Tecmint course that covers the LFCE as well. At $30 for both it's not too bad, and it reads easy.

I'm generally taking the objectives and working through that, making sure I understand the concept rather than just learning the course work.

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
I wrote today, but I might have to end up doing the rewrite as connectivity was atrocious.

Both Cell C and Telkom LTE died on me repeatedly. Cost me about 30-40 mins of my exam time and caused issues with char display in text editors...

Make sure you've got a very stable connection!

srothman

Expert Member
Ah man! Sorry to hear that.

All in all, if you had to rate the content in difficulty? Especially for a non-Linux person like myself? Pretty straight forward?

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Straight forward enough, know where man pages are and you should be fine. The only thing that may trip you up coming from Windows is text manipulation in its various forms and disk based activities I'd think.

srothman

Expert Member
Straight forward enough, know where man pages are and you should be fine. The only thing that may trip you up coming from Windows is text manipulation in its various forms and disk based activities I'd think.
Thanks man. I've been working through a couple of guides specifically focussing on text manipulation with, for example sed, grep, cat, etc. and finding my way around vi as much as I can, so glad if it seems as if I'm heading in the right direction.

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Thanks man. I've been working through a couple of guides specifically focussing on text manipulation with, for example sed, grep, cat, etc. and finding my way around vi as much as I can, so glad if it seems as if I'm heading in the right direction.
Yeah - sounds like you're on track.

Looks like connectivity cost me the pass. No time to review work / go over missed questions.

Code:
You scored 69% for this Exam. A score of at least 74% was required to pass.
I'm taking the free retake tomorrow night so i'll probably only get those results by Saturday...

srothman

Expert Member
Ah man, sorry!!! You're eligible for a free retake though, aren't you?

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Finished writing. This time round it was way better (zero connectivity issues)

Some issues though:

* Don't use Nano. It's buggy with their terminal emulation.
* Don't let the lights go out mid exam (courtesy of works building). The proctor really doesn't like that and gets jumpy.
* They don't like ID with no expiry date on it - I used my passport as a result.

Now to wait 75 hours for the result. I don't forsee any issues this time around.

srothman

Expert Member
Also, are you able/allowed to TAB in the console? I went through the documentation and I don't see anything related to it.

Thanks

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Also, are you able/allowed to TAB in the console? I went through the documentation and I don't see anything related to it.

Thanks
Tabbing is fine, copy and paste seems to be a bit hit and miss so i was using my mouse for that.

If you're using a mac to do the exam then its a bit horrible, as you can't use fn keys to move to the end of the line etc...

The other thing is that certain shortcuts are not the same. So in nano i'd expect ctrl + key to do certain thing, but it seems you may need to do ctrl + shift + key instead (but only for some key combinations)...

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Congratulations, you have successfully completed the requirements needed to achieve LFCS Certification!