Linux smartphones - experience to share?

Arthur

Honorary Master
I've had it with the moralistic imperialism of Google and Apple, so I'm casting about for a phone / portable comms system that's more independent.

Options are limited, and invariably require compromise on specs and features.

I'm looking seriously at Linux Smartphones.

Of the few out there, the Volla Phone (Volla Home) from Germany is the most promising for me, mainly because it supports two SIMs, which I require. I might start with the AOSP version (Volla OS) and see how far I can get without GMS, etc, and then later flash it with Ubuntu Touch to give that a go. My main challenge is going to be a decent client for Exchange mail, calendar and contacts.

Anyone have one of these or similar devices? Any experiences to share?

I'm 2mm away from pulling the trigger on a $400 Volla Phone, to ship in Feb to me in the US.

Thoughts? Advice? Criticisms?

R13...

Honorary Master
What did Apple and Google do? You could use Huawei they don't have GMS anymore.

Arthur

Honorary Master
True. The deGMSed high-end Huaweis are a real and attractive option. Decided against that route because a) visceral suspicion that they phone home via backdoor to PRC, and 2) no support for/from Ubuntu Touch or other OS options.

ODTech

You could look at pine phones. I think they more aimed at devs working on KDE's linux os for mobile. I think it's called plasma iirc. Not sure how many featured it has yet though.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
You could look at pine phones. I think they more aimed at devs working on KDE's linux os for mobile. I think it's called plasma iirc. Not sure how many featured it has yet though.
Was just about to suggest that. Havent used it myself, but...