Live Streaming

mk_aldatym

Will a 4mbs line stream live football without buffering? and can I watch a series episode online without buffering?

Pada

Executive Member
A 4Mbps line should be good enough to stream most (if not all) 480p videos live (without having to wait for it to buffer). There will always be buffering involved, however with a 4Mbps line and videos of resolutions less than 480p, the buffering should always be quicker than the video time.
I've based my information on http://community.avid.com/forums/t/63560.aspx, which advise people to use a bitrate of 1.5Mbps - 3Mbps for 480p videos.

Normal HDTV videos are 360p, so even a 2Mbps connection should be able to stream that live.

Of course, in reality, many uncapped packages are shaped and you might not always get the full line speed (which is 3.5Mbps if you take all the overheads in consideration).

mk_aldatym

A 4Mbps line should be good enough to stream most (if not all) 480p videos live (without having to wait for it to buffer). There will always be buffering involved, however with a 4Mbps line and videos of resolutions less than 480p, the buffering should always be quicker than the video time.
I've based my information on http://community.avid.com/forums/t/63560.aspx, which advise people to use a bitrate of 1.5Mbps - 3Mbps for 480p videos.

Normal HDTV videos are 360p, so even a 2Mbps connection should be able to stream that live.

Of course, in reality, many uncapped packages are shaped and you might not always get the full line speed (which is 3.5Mbps if you take all the overheads in consideration).
Eish. So how would it work with the MWEB Internet Addict package which is unshaped (512 & 4mbs lines respectively)?

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Expert Member
Probably.
You may have a 4Mbps connection but that doesn't mean you get 4Mbps speed. The distance you are from your exchange affects your line speed. There are other factors too; the congestion on the site/server you are viewing the stream, the amount of shaping your ISP applies on streaming protocols (if any), the resolution the actual feed is provided in. If it is really high quality, buffering could still be the issue.

Pada

Executive Member
1Mbps won't be good enough for streaming any 420p videos live, and neither will 512kbps be for 360p videos.

Mweb Internet Addict package is just way too expensive.
From what I've heard on this forum, it seems like people advise that you rather go for Uncapped Gold packages from OpenWeb than to go for Mweb Addict, especially if you want to play WoW on overseas servers...

rward

If you have a site you're streaming from, post it here and someone can check?

I used livetv4ever.com for a bit on my 4Mb line and it wasn't bad.
Also http://atdhe.net/ worked ok during the world cup.
Neither is HD but the picture is good enough to watch ..

LazyLion

King of de Jungle