Looking for a new cheap news server.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
32,234
Reaction score
6,281
Currently I use Nextgennews as my primary and two xsusenet free accounts in ssl mode as my backup.

I am thinking of either changing nextgennews to my backup server (getting a block account) and then getting another server as my primary or getting another server as for a block account then carrying on with using nextgennews as my primary and leaving the xsusenet accounts as is.





Anyway, What would your suggestions be as to the other server and should I use it as primary or backup?

I don't ever download faster than 2Meg.

The main idea would be so that more of my older searches will work without breaking the bank.


(Since I asked here and got no response: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/103290-News-server-related-queries/page212 )
 
I keep getting Auth and timeout issues with nextgennews. Login is correct.

Anyone else have similar issues?
 
Currently I use Nextgennews as my primary and two xsusenet free accounts in ssl mode as my backup.

I am thinking of either changing nextgennews to my backup server (getting a block account) and then getting another server as my primary or getting another server as for a block account then carrying on with using nextgennews as my primary and leaving the xsusenet accounts as is.





Anyway, What would your suggestions be as to the other server and should I use it as primary or backup?

I don't ever download faster than 2Meg.

The main idea would be so that more of my older searches will work without breaking the bank.


(Since I asked here and got no response: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/103290-News-server-related-queries/page212 )

UsenetBucket is R40 a month for 10Mbps vs. NextGenNews at R76 for 2Mbps.
 
I keep getting Auth and timeout issues with nextgennews. Login is correct.

Anyone else have similar issues?

I had issues last night right up until this morning. Logged support ticket but still no response.
 
I keep getting Auth and timeout issues with nextgennews. Login is correct.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Yep.

UsenetBucket is R40 a month for 10Mbps vs. NextGenNews at R76 for 2Mbps.

Nextgennews is R76 for 60 days @ 2meg.

I was looking at usenetbucket as an option, see what others say though before deciding.

My nextgennews period expires today and I want one block account and one premium account (I will likely keep the two xsusenet accounts as well).
Just not sure which should be which.
 
There's a suggestion right above your post in that thread! :p

LOL,


So the 3 contenders are SuperNews, Nextgennews and Usenetbucket.

I saw your suggestion but not many people seemed to respond to it in a positive or negative way, hence my question/this thread.
 
Well well well...so I'm NOT the only one. Thank goodness...also no response to ticket as yet. Obviously there are issues.

Yip, couldn't authenticate. This morning it started authenticating but now I've had a little over half the line speed. Not sure if it is Afrihost or nextgennews.
 
Well well well...so I'm NOT the only one. Thank goodness...also no response to ticket as yet. Obviously there are issues.

Last time there were issues it kinda sounded as if we are dealing with a one man show (he was fixing it on his phone on the beach or something as he was on holiday).
 
Yep.



Nextgennews is R76 for 60 days @ 2meg.

I was looking at usenetbucket as an option, see what others say though before deciding.

My nextgennews period expires today and I want one block account and one premium account (I will likely keep the two xsusenet accounts as well).
Just not sure which should be which.

I'm almost done with my second 90 day subscription to UsenetBucket, I've used them for 210 days at the end of this cycle and not one single failed download or login issue in 7 months.

My referral code if you should choose to use them.
 
Yip, couldn't authenticate. This morning it started authenticating but now I've had a little over half the line speed. Not sure if it is Afrihost or nextgennews.

Same here. The issue is with Nextgennews. I'm with WA and have no speed issues when downloading from IS news server.

This is really messing me around as I am currently ripping quite old stuff.
 
I'm almost done with my second 90 day subscription to UsenetBucket, I've used them for 210 days at the end of this cycle and not one single failed download or login issue in 7 months.

My referral code if you should choose to use them.

How do you do your payment? Hesitant to use my CC. Usually use paypal for nextgennews.
 
How do you do your payment? Hesitant to use my CC. Usually use paypal for nextgennews.

Used a CC when I first tried out a 30 days subscription and both 90 day subs after that, no problem.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X