Mac Pro 2012 hdd data cable

gzondagh

Hi,

My Macbook Pro stopped working this morning seems to be the data cable.

Does anyone know of a place I can get a new cable? Don't want to wait a month for ebay shipping.

I tried Ifix and SA spares R950 and R850 for a new cable that seems a bit high.

An old broken macbook would also work.

Thanks

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hi,

My Macbook Pro stopped working this morning seems to be the data cable.

Does anyone know of a place I can get a new cable? Don't want to wait a month for ebay shipping.

I tried Ifix and SA spares R950 and R850 for a new cable that seems a bit high.

An old broken macbook would also work.

Thanks
Might not work - they regularly change things around inside.

subxero

Thanks this is already much better.

Just from a bit of research...

The issue with the cable is a common problem with the 2012 models. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, changed the cable to run under the drive instead of over the drive. So the hard drive puts pressure on the cable which causes chaffing. The alluminium casing is a bit rougher than it should be, just enough to wear out the cable in minute areas which cause the failure of the cable.(Cables should never fail). Solution is to cover the entire path of the cable with tape when installing the replacement. Some repair guys have made their own self adhesive vinyl cutout which follows the entire path, while others apply vinyl to the underside of the cable. That simple solution will save time money and effort as it will happen again over time.

gzondagh

Just from a bit of research...

The issue with the cable is a common problem with the 2012 models. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, changed the cable to run under the drive instead of over the drive. So the hard drive puts pressure on the cable which causes chaffing. The alluminium casing is a bit rougher than it should be, just enough to wear out the cable in minute areas which cause the failure of the cable.(Cables should never fail). Solution is to cover the entire path of the cable with tape when installing the replacement. Some repair guys have made their own self adhesive vinyl cutout which follows the entire path, while others apply vinyl to the underside of the cable. That simple solution will save time money and effort as it will happen again over time.

infinite wisdom:D

We did try that at first and it worked momentarily, because the cable should have been replaced just before I got the Macbook.

Eventually I just bought a hdd caddy as a temporary solution and ordered a cable from ebay, will definitely cover the bottom with tape before installing the new cable!