Magazine publishers looking at Android

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Come to think of it, I can't think of any. Would be nice to see some mags.

Pyro

Expert Member
I don't see why having access to CC details is considered a good thing here. If Next handles the payments, the publishers can be paid via them.

I wonder if the content gap is still as large between the local and international Popular Mechanics. The last time I saw an international one, we seemed to get a 'best of' version. Still one of the better local mags though.

Are the existing apps restricted by region?

DeathStrike

Expert Member
Ah... "Pulse" app anyone?

i get all my news from there.

and google reader?

make your own "mags".

battletoad

Expert Member
pulse works handsomely; I have it as a widget on my xperia. Just scroll to that homescreen, skim the lastest updates, open the headlines I'm interested in.

But yeah, come to think of it I only see iPhone/iPad mags on shelves. Would be great to have a mag which includes a DVD:D of free android apps (altho some apps need to be downloaded from the market. If anyone has an app to bypass this, please feel free to share).

Nefertiti

Honorary Master
I don't see why having access to CC details is considered a good thing here. If Next handles the payments, the publishers can be paid via them.

I wonder if the content gap is still as large between the local and international Popular Mechanics. The last time I saw an international one, we seemed to get a 'best of' version. Still one of the better local mags though.

Are the existing apps restricted by region?

It depends. I had a look at the Barnes and Noble magazine subscriptions and only US citizens could buy them. However Zinio has magazines with little restriction from what I can tell. Its just a pity that zinio is not working on android so well yet.

Zinio has New Scientist and I am definately going to get a subscription from them.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
But yeah, come to think of it I only see iPhone/iPad mags on shelves. Would be great to have a mag which includes a DVD:D of free android apps (altho some apps need to be downloaded from the market. If anyone has an app to bypass this, please feel free to share).

I take it you referring to getting apps on a knock off device that doesn't have Market access?

Unfortunately Android applications license service works via the Android Market app in order to confirm legality, instead of the app phoning home all the time, it checks via the market app if the user has access to the app.

In a case like mentioned above I dont see any other way than to use places like ipmart forum to get your apps.

If you talking about just reading reviews on your device with links to app market just add one of the millions of sites that does it to Pulse with links(Android Central is a nice one to start) that does this.

battletoad

Expert Member
I take it you referring to getting apps on a knock off device that doesn't have Market access?

not really. my gf has the exact same phone as I do. She likes my games, so it'd be great if I could just send them over... but i can't (once isntalled, apk disappears). also, she doesn't really do data bundles so apps can get fairly pricey.
Oh, and in the case that a mag's DVD ships with apps (but now i know the licensing issues you referred to would apply).

Thanks for the ipmart headsup, I'll have a look.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
not really. my gf has the exact same phone as I do. She likes my games, so it'd be great if I could just send them over... but i can't (once isntalled, apk disappears). also, she doesn't really do data bundles so apps can get fairly pricey.
Oh, and in the case that a mag's DVD ships with apps (but now i know the licensing issues you referred to would apply).

Thanks for the ipmart headsup, I'll have a look.

I use ES File Explorer to copy my apps(back-up) via Windows share to my PC and on the other devices I just install it from the PC using ES file explorer again.

Will still have an issue with the license if you have separate gmail accounts, I never checked if you could link 2 email accounts to the same Android account, that might be an option for you?

Oh and Astro copy the APK's for you as well with the back-up setting.

Also look at Android Manager Wifi http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_AM.jsp
Its a nice app that installed on the PC can back-up your phone via Wifi. Also has a Export function to save the APK's in a directory of your selection.

Last edited:

battletoad

Expert Member
excuse my monday morning slowness but let me just get this straight...

- I download app, it installs.
- Copy that (installed) app over to my pc using ES file explorer (had a quick look and i see apks in /system/apps/, but thats the standard apks. will search for downloaded ones)
- once on pc, send over to gf's phone?

EDIT: Oooohhhhhhhhh! just saw your edit so I'm on the bandwagon now;) thanks a mil

Last edited: