Making websites for small local businesses

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Hi guys

This is another one of those "where do I start threads". Anyway, the plan is to start making BASIC (no, not the language) websites for some local businesses as a means of "getting them exposure" and a means of making me some money.

From a website perspective, i'm currently aiming to just do a "Hi, this is what we do and these are our details" kind of thing. I want to do this because in and around my community, there's an open market for this kind of thing and I wouldn't mind playing around with web dev.

My problem lies in the fact that web development is one of the fields in IT which I have no ventured into. Like no experience at all. I'm pretty quick at picking up programming though, so learning the technical side shouldn't be much of a problem if I put my mind to it.

What I'd like to know from the great gurus of MyBB is:

1. What should I start with? I've read some good things about the ease of using WordPress or Joomla as they're mostly "automated" CMSystems and theres quite a bit of support. And I really don't want to have to piece the GUI together from scratch.

2. What are the usual charges like when building+hosting a website? What is the pricing model ? Initial charge for the build and then monthly charges for hosting/upkeep?

3. Speaking of hosting... Recommendations for providers ? How would it work ? What package/plan would be appropriate ?

Pretty much any advice/direction you have to give me would be appreciated. I know I'm asking a lot, but I've come to trust the (technical/IT) advice given on MyBB much more than the random posts found when Google searching. The other advice given on MyBB is questionable. :whistling:

TL;DR: I wanna make small websites. Advice on how to go about this.

Batista

Executive Member
Is there anything that is going to set you apart from the 1000's of others doing the same thing? The market is quite saturated.
Are you going to be building static sites with no functionality? You dont need much to do this, but if you are going to be making more involved sites that handle queries, and has more fancy features then i would suggest you start at webdesigndev.com

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Is there anything that is going to set you apart from the 1000's of others doing the same thing? The market is quite saturated.

To be honest, not really.

As I said, I have no experience in this and its just an idea that I'm toying around with. I study full time during the year and I currently have a holiday job. I'm "IT support" to lots of people and I guess if I start doing this I hope that good word would spread. I personally know a few businesses without websites who would do well with one.

I'm willing to do it cheaper than the people who really want to make big bucks out of it. Hoping that I'd be a viable solution to the micro businesses that don't really want to pay through the nose to get onto the internet.

Are you going to be building static sites with no functionality? You dont need much to do this, but if you are going to be making more involved sites that handle queries, and has more fancy features then i would suggest you start at webdesigndev.com

I plan on it being static. Simple as possible. Will definitely look at webdesigndev.com though.