Man flees cops, drowns

darkevil

A man drowned when he jumped into a river while running from police in Pietermaritzburg on Thursday, KwaZulu-Natal police said.

"Two men were walking along the road and upon noticing the police both men began running in different directions. It is alleged that one of the men then ran towards the Msunduzi River and jumped into the water," Warrant Officer Joey Jeevan said.

"The man was struggling in the water. The members immediately got hold of a long branch and attempted to assist the man. He refused assistance and swam away from the police."

Police divers were called and found his body.

The man was wearing grey shorts, a blue golf t-shirt, black Caterpillar shoes and an orange cap. Anyone able to identify him could contact Captain Belinda Walters on 033-845-7700.

http://news.iafrica.com/sa/699951.html

How bizarre one wonders what they were scared of with regards to the police.
The saying that a drowning man clutches at straws does not ring true in this story.
RIP

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder if he shouted, "you'll never take me alive, coppers!".

San-DraX

Eish that just shows the intelligence of criminals in our country........

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Epic fail Mr.Criminal. But thanks for offing yourself. Now if only this would start a trend. :rolleyes:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I once ran after a taxi in the CBD cause my wallet fell out of my pocket and when caught up with it I some guys were chasing after me like I was some purse-snatcher running away from the scene and I was like "WTF go play vigilante somewhere else."

Rands

Expert Member
PMB must have some hardcore cops. Just the sight of them makes criminals jump into a river and drown themselves!

Alestorm

Expert Member
1st Darwin award nominee from South Africa for 2011???

Well maybe he'd done something terrible that he'd rather die for than be exposed and spend most of his life in jail.

But a pretty good candidate none the less. :D