Media Streaming Box

nadeem_k

Hi

I am looking for a media steaming box/stick specifically for youtube and netflix. I am looking for a good value, entry level device for my grand parents. Due to it being for my grand parents I need it to be as simple as possible to use. So the UX needs to be easy enough where its not any more complicated than operating a normal TV. The simpler the better...

nadeem_k

Wait wait wait... What about the cheaper sub R1000 options? I see there are cheaper versions of the chromecast also. ..

TheLuckmeister

MiBox is a Google Certified media box running Android TV OS, with built in ChromeCast.
Anything that isnt Google Certified is a waste of time, You wont get Netflix or DStv Now etc.
The cheaper options tend to run an old version of Android OS that is normally for tablets, ie Android 5 or 6.
I've been through it and the MiBox is a million times better than the cheaper ones.

Thats my opinion, but i believe many MiBox owners would agree. :thumbsup:

TheLuckmeister

Naks

Expert Member
guys, I'm also considering getting one of these, but I need one that can take an HDD and supports recording off the EPG.

And has to be able to do 4K @ 60fps

any recommendations?

beans100

Honorary Master
How is the comparison between a google chromcast TM and a Mi Box 3/S?
For one, Chromecast is built into the mi box, so you get the best of both worlds. Chromecast you can't install apps on it, only on the phone/tablet you use to cast from. And then the apps must be able to cast.
If you want a standalone thing, then the chromecast isn't the one you look at.

Rocco1

For one, Chromecast is built into the mi box, so you get the best of both worlds. Chromecast you can't install apps on it, only on the phone/tablet you use to cast from. And then the apps must be able to cast.
If you want a standalone thing, then the chromecast isn't the one you look at.
thanks for feedback. Whats the difference between the 3 and the S?

And pricepoint about R1500-1600?

Last edited:

beans100

Honorary Master
thanks for feedback. Whats the difference between the 3 and the S?

And pricepoint about R1500-1600?
That seems to be the price now, yes. Though, if you're not in a hurry, they sometimes go on special for between R999 and R1300. But that can be a long wait.
Main difference, seems to be the bluetooth chip is newer. The rest apparently the same. The main consensus is that the S might get updates for longer. Also seems like poeple think the S is more stable, if I understand it right. I only got my S today, so will be testing and comparing with my 3, for some time. Have my 3 for a year, now. No issues, what so ever with it.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Also if you're going to be watching offline media, especially 4K stuff, the Mi Box can do Dolby TrueHD including Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio including DTS:X, the Mi Box S can't do HD audio, it can do normal Dolby Digital and Plus and DTS 5.1 formats.