saynothing

Hey guys, I been looking on the forum for some answers but the posts about Medical aids are pretty old, so I figured I'd ask again & get the latest input.

I'm currently with Momentum Incentive with a healthsaver (putting in about R1850pm into the healthsaver)
Firstly, Momentum gives issues (and sometimes refuses to pay back in full - even though it's MY money)

Somehow our savings also seems to just be depleted before the end of the year (currently the case)

So I was wondering if you guys have found a really good medical aid that is worth checking out.
Someone who is reliable, great hospital plan as well as paying for day to day Dental, Doctor visits and basic medication.
It's for myself, my wife and my daughter (5 years old)

Venomous

Honorary Master
Are you on multiply?
Join a gym go enough times in a month and that will contribute to your savings.

The higher you score the better your contribution. If you're married both of you can contribute.

With a high enough score each can contribute well over 1k a month....

saturnz

Honorary Master
I'm with bonitas. I can't really say much except that I'm in a huge surplus with them when they took care of my mom.

I've never really had any issues as such

BTTB

Executive Member
Hey guys, I been looking on the forum for some answers but the posts about Medical aids are pretty old, so I figured I'd ask again & get the latest input.

I'm currently with Momentum Incentive with a healthsaver (putting in about R1850pm into the healthsaver)
Firstly, Momentum gives issues (and sometimes refuses to pay back in full - even though it's MY money)

Somehow our savings also seems to just be depleted before the end of the year (currently the case)

So I was wondering if you guys have found a really good medical aid that is worth checking out.
Someone who is reliable, great hospital plan as well as paying for day to day Dental, Doctor visits and basic medication.
It's for myself, my wife and my daughter (5 years old)

A really good medical aid would be one that will pay for everything irrespective. Does it exist?
For instance if you were in the Military or retired from the Military and went to 2 Military Hospital, no matter if its just a checkup or a 1 Million Rand surgical procedure they would pay in full.

Unfortunately private medical aids like Momentum, by the way I am on the same Incentive Plan, are limited to to Fund Policy on payouts.
The Inventive Plan, equivalent would be Discovery Coastal, is merely the middle of the road plan, will pay for most things that are done in Hospital but will not pay for Doctors visits and certainly not the Dentist. Dentistry for some reason or other is a no no when it comes to Medical Aids and the Dentist I go to has a sign in the reception area asking patients to settle before they leave as they are not contracted to medical aids.

There are two other plans above Incentive, Extender and Summit. Means you pay in more but have more options.

Unfortunately Doctors visits and prescribed medicine comes off your savings, hence why its depleted before year end.
Basically its like moving your money from one pocket to another and as you describe "its your money" correctly, so why wont they pay. In my experience they pay for 99% of things using your savings, so long as you have savings of course.

You may not know this, but Momentum agents used to sell Discovery Medical Aids up until around 2004. At this point Discovery decided to sell their own products and the Momentum agents who were now on their own decided to start their own Medical Aid, which they called Pulz with all the knowledge they had gleamed from Discovery.
Basically looking at it another way, Momentum Health Products are for the most part the same as Discovery, just with different names and variations.

Medical Aids are just that, an Aid.
If you break them down, they are more or less the same.
While this is not the way the world works any more, try and build a track record with Momentum. Call their agents and pose your questions to him or her.

I have been with Momentum since the Pulz days and without going into details they paid some big bills in recent years.
Similarly my parents are on Discovery Coastal and they also paid when they should have.
But in both instances it was when in Hospital receiving treatment.
Out of Hospital costs like visiting your Doctor because you have the flu will be paid from your savings which will run out before the year is out if you use it a few times.

BTTB

Executive Member
Are you on multiply?
Join a gym go enough times in a month and that will contribute to your savings.

The higher you score the better your contribution. If you're married both of you can contribute.

With a high enough score each can contribute well over 1k a month....
My daughter uses the Multiply Option at Virgin Active which for a few Rands extra every month gives her a full membership.
The Multiply Option also gives you 15% discount on your Life Insurance, so long as you complete a health form every 3 years, which in my case saves more money each month than the actual Multiply premium.